1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Replacement Refs are Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slytiger, Oct 7, 2009.

1. slytiger

slytiger Member

In 13 preseason games, we've seen an average of 57 fouls resulting in about 71 free throws a game.

I picked a random date last season (March 11) the games averaged 42 fouls and 50 free throws. 15 more fouls a game and 21 more free throws.

If the real refs don't sign a deal this is going to be an ugly NBA season. I wonder if the NBA is going to ease up on how much they fine players and coaches for criticizing the referees.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

a) I doubt it, because if players/coaches are allowed to sound off about the replacement refs, it lends credence to the arguments of the regulars that they perform an "irreplaceable service."

b) A lot of the regulars suck rancid rotting moose dick as well. I've told some of my friends I'm starting to believe that major league sports should simply flush their officials about once every 5-7 years -- get rid of everyone and start over, bring up a whole new crew out of college or the minors. The officiating crews of all four major sports are packed with these old fossils who have been around forever, and keep getting brought back on sheer name recognition and inertia.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Comparing the first 13 preseason games to a 'random' date in the middle of March is absurd. The game is played totally differently, and in the preseason, it's often played by players who will be nowhere near the roster in March, or even early November.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What's so hard about being a replacement ref? All they have to remember is not to call fouls on the big star.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

They're so much inferior to Joey Crawford running around showing everybody what a tough guy he is?

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

As long as they're not calling for traveling then I see no difference between the replacement refs and the "real" refs.

[​IMG]

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

THAT'S ONLY BECAUSE AMERICAN PLAYERS DON'T PLAY THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY!!! [/Brian Griffin, Eurotrash player agent]

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They are terrible and really are a lot worse than the real ones. They were horrendous during real games in 1995, although those refs were pulled from a different pool. But the results look like they'll be the same.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Too drunk to remember officiating any basketball games.

[​IMG]

Sorry Ma...forgot to call that foul!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yeah, but their Tim dusted the refs':

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

In two preseason games in Detroit, we've had:

1) The Pistons make two free throws, only to have the officials realize that they sent the wrong guy to the line. The second guy then had to shoot them, and missed both.

2) Ersan Ilyasova get fouled on a jumper. Refs ruled it a 2-point attempt, and he missed both shots. Three stoppages and 90 seconds later, they decided it was a 3-point attempt and had him shoot another free throw. He made it, only to have the Pistons point out that you can only correct that mistake within 24 seconds, so they took the point back off the board.

In 21 seasons, I've never seen the refs have this much trouble with simple calls. As for the number of fouls being skewed because of junk players, they called 19 fouls in the first quarter tonight, when both Detroit and Milwaukee were using rotation guys. That's one every 38 seconds.

12. slytiger

slytiger Member

Stan Van Gundy fined $35,000 for ripping officials.
    Larry Brown’s $60,000 for his criticism
    Lionel Hollins gets hit for a $25,000 fine.

The Magic, Bobcats and Grizzlies have to pay a total of $85,000 on top of the coaches fines.

This is going to be ugly.

Draft saved Draft deleted