1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The remarkable Julio Franco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

While watching the game last night, it struck me what an amazing story Julio Franco is. Has it been somewhat undercovered nationally? The guy is 48 and getting big-time minutes for a probable World Series team ... are we just queezy about age-related feats because of what we've learned the last few years? I've yet to see a definitive Franco feech, and you'd think his story would be fascinating. The guy was playing in 1982!

You'd have to go back to like Jack Quinn in the '30s to find someone this old playing this well.

Hell, Bob Gibson was the oldest guy in the National League when he was 39.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Steroids.

Julio is on the juice.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

yeah, prune juice.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, that can be listed as a performance enhancer of sorts.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Franco is the last major league professional athlete older than me.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

6. There's a good bit of stuff on the Web about Franco and his regimen (do a Google search for julio franco diet). I think Rick Reilly did something on him a few years back.

This was from August...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-franco082306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Also...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/sports/baseball/01mets.html?ex=1298869200&en=7f336ca9b512ea4e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Not trying to pile on, starman, but that will be a kick in the head for me when that happens

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Julio Franco, Kenny Rogers and Odibe McDowell were supposed to lead the early-90s Rangers to the Big Dance.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Later, when the team was floundering as usual, gold-chain-laden Oil Can Boyd was hastily signed.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

not mcdowell, sierra. mcdowell left the rangers in the '80's.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I have his rookie card. It's from the Honus Wagner tobacco card series. ;D

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

He's got a way to go before he's in Gordie Howe's longetivity league. He played 32 seasons of top-level pro hockey between 1946 and 1980 and retired at age 52.

Draft saved Draft deleted