1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Real War on Women: Sex Selection Abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I may be offended by the idea, but it isn't my place to say why. What if someone doesn't want to go through to term because they don't want to spend money on child rearing? Or because they just hate getting up in the middle of the night?

One of our close friends refused to have kids because she was competitive in an age group for a sport which she was very involved in. She told Mrs. W that if she got pregnant before a big event that she was participating in the following year, she would get an abortion. We both thought it was insane, but it wasn't our womb.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True, although they generally discourage those tests these days because of the risks involved. But if someone is that obsessed with the gender of the baby, I'm guessing there would be no stopping them.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if "offends" is the right word. If someone is so dead set on having a child of a certain gender that they would abort the other one, I would prefer that person not reproduce.

I know a lot of people who had a third or fourth kid to try to have a boy or a girl and then wound up with kids all of the same gender. While they may have been hoping to have the other gender, they never would have dreamed of aborting because they didn't get the gender they wanted.

I also realize that unless it's an extreme case, there's almost nothing anyone can do to stop it.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Knew a woman who had triplet boys. She really wanted a girl, so she got pregnant again ... with twin boys. Believe it or not she went to the well again ... got a single boy this time. As the father of a 15YO son, I can't imagine having more than one Y-chromosomer around.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes, but think of all the women who have and will become the daughters she never had!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You came out of a well?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Anyone notice how small the numbers were in the study? And how many women were using sperm-sorting and in-vitro fertilization in order to get pregnant in the first place?

Is an artificially induced end to an artificially induced beginning in a tiny sample of women something we need to take up in Congress?

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

But once the sperm's nose gets under the tent, anything can happen.

9. Forgot to mention: All women's medical records will now get faxed directly to their state representative. Oh, and he recently signed over the abortion approval duties to a private contractor. Here's a 1-800 number to call to see if you qualify...

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No uterus left behind.

We want our countree back.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Funny, too, that Republican legislators are trying to portray themselves as champions of women's rights after the Senate rejected the Paycheck Fairness Act.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which was all about rewarding their trial lawyer friends (and donors), and trying to create an issue for the election.

It had nothing to do with "women's rights".

Draft saved Draft deleted