1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ray Rice Elevator Video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2014/10/19/ray-rice-could-back-the-nfl-within-month/vfXTbDMVZkrlxLea26rrkM/story.html

Ray Rice expected to be reinstated within the next four weeks.

"According to the report, Rice and his attorney’s “will make the case that even under the NFL’s new domestic violence policy, and as a first-time offender, Rice should be suspended a maximum of six games, which has already passed.” Also at issue is whether or not Rice lied to the league in his initial recall of the incident, and whether or not the NFL had access to the video before it was made public."

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Also at issue will be whether any team will want to take on that headache. He might be reinstated, but he ain't playing any time soon.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Gore or Hyde go down, the 49ers would sign him in about five seconds. And they are hardly the only team with zero moral compass.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The NHL tells OOP to stick his due process.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/slava-voynov-suspended-by-nhl-after-domestic-violence-arrest-1.2805838

Suspended with pay pending the investigation. It's really not that difficult a concept.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Someone's got their Halloween costume going:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not at all difficult. Wrong, but not difficult.

Perhaps the NHL is doing a little grandstanding to take advantage of the heat on the NFL?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are but they got it right. As long as the player is being paid while under investigation I have no problem with this.

8. outofplace

You are entitled to your opinion. Perhaps they have access to information we do not. If that is not the case, I prefer to wait until there is evidence of guilt before punishing somebody and I certainly don't care for handing out a punishment of a person who may be innocent for the sake of public relations.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree. But it depends on the evidence or what is known. I think the players should get due process to a point. And I don't really know what that point is. To say, well, the guy is getting paid so it's fine is a little unfair. Most of these players play the game because they love it and it is agonizing to have to sit and watch the team play without them. So they are still being punished for something they might not have done.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus it really screws up fantasy teams, particularly if he plays an offensive skill position.

11. outofplace

Exactly. And JC should know that.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Once again, this is not a court of law and you should know as a business owner I can give you a paid vacation anytime I like. Loving your job has nothing to do with it. You get arrested for domestic violence you will sit until I find out what happened.

I have no doubt ther NHL is reacting to the Rice incident, they'd be stupid not to. It's bad for business as a league, why wouldn't they react? On top of that it's the right thing to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted