1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The qualities you'd prioritize when hiring journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Someone who understands that working in journalism is a JOB, not a chance to watch sports from a good seat or have access to public officials. Someone who understands the job is to serve the customer.

Someone with the stones enough to make this his/her standard operating procedure:

Hired by the Philadelphia Daily News, Kiseda took a brief, if colorful, turn on the City Hall beat. When Mike Quill, the tough-talking head of the Transport Workers Union, gave a long, theatrical explanation of his motives for a strike that tied up the city and then asked if there were any questions, Kiseda replied, “Yes. You don’t expect us to believe any of that, do you?”

So many times I edited copy in which a question like that was so sorely needed.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This is probably the closest to the word I don't believe has been posted here yet.

Skepticism.

Somebody telling you something likely is telling you what they want you to believe. It may or may not be true.

From kids dying in Santa's arms to MAGAs attacking celebrities in the freezing night to nurses claiming deathbed COVID deniers, too many people breathlessly post and/or repeat stuff without a hint of skepticism. Because "this is how I view the world, and HERE'S the proof I'm right!"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ever had an intern who consistently smelled like they’d just eaten quite a bit of ketchup? Because they’d just eaten quite a bit of ketchup?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

No, but I have to hear this story.

5. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Will they work 75 hours a week while reporting they worked 37.5? Will they accept $42,000 a year to live in an area with the highest cost of living in the world?

Fdufta likes this.
  6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Are they willing to take on a "side hustle" to make ends meet?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Woody Long likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The willingness and ability to ask well in the given situation, the tough question that no one wants to ask, or that no one else thinks of.

This would apply for all of the positions Alma wanted covered. So, fearlessness. Can you be someone who won't be intimidated if/when the need arises? Can you find and fill the holes in your own, or another person's, stories?

And, the other side of that coin: Can you cultivate relationships/sources -- oftentimes with some of the "soft skills" that cycling writer mentioned -- in a way that builds respect and responsibility, for both sides? I happen to think that my first quality mentioned actually often can lead to the second, even if a source doesn't ever necessarily come to love you. Because you're a stand-up journalist in their eyes, they will be more inclined to be a stand-up resource for you.

Good news instincts. This goes hand-in-hand with being a good reporter, but doesn't mean always looking for the worst in people or situations. Sometimes, backing off a little/being more friendly will open the way for the newsy stuff. It's a matter of knowing when to be hard-nosed, when to push a little because you think/know you're on to something, and when to let something come to you by osmosis, as it were.

Can you write a good news story and a good feature?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Liut, maumann and Dog8Cats like this.
  8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

What a great thread. Honestly, this feels a lot like old SJ and can benefit a lot of people who are entering the business (godspeed, folks).

One of the early posts nailed my sentiments on the head. Each job has a different function. Much like in sports, each position requires a unique skill set to be truly effective. Columnist/beat writer/GA all use different muscles on a regular basis.

The two biggest traits for me: 1. Is someone willing to work hard? 2. Are they willing to learn and accept criticism from people in the building and ignore criticism from sources/readers? If those two things are a "yes," everything else can work itself out.

Liut and maumann like this.
  9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

For hiring managers: How important is a social media following?

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

For those three spots? Nowadays, looks like you're just hiring 1 person.

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

The No. 1 thing is you need to be able to figure shit out on your own. I have no time at all for hand-holding. I don't want 17 texts/calls when you go out to cover something asking me what to do and who to talk to. Figure it out.

My very first assignment on a staff, I was sent out to cover the championship round of some local slow-pitch softball tournament. Not glamorous, but the only things I knew going in were where the game was and what time it started. I was so dumb, I went in thinking someone there would have rosters for me, like a media contact. Of course, it was literally just a bunch of dudes playing softball. Had to figure everything out. Who was playing, who needed to win which games, who was who, who to talk to, etc. In other words, I actually had to ask questions to people I didn't know and who weren't there to see me.

Yes, that wasn't exactly the big-time, but if you came out of a large university like I did, where everything I did for internships, etc., was guided by big PR/sports info staffs, it was invaluable to be thrown into the fire and have to figure things out.

From that day forward, I learned that only myself was responsible for figuring things out. If you can't do that, sorry, I have no use for you.

Liut, garrow, Bronco77 and 3 others like this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Big time agree. If we’re ever allowed to hire anybody again the thing I look for is someone who’s ready to play right away. No time for projects and apprenticeships here.

Liut, stix and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted