1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Proposed 18 Game NFL Schedule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 1, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not at all.

It would increase anyway. Always has. Always will.

I paid $128 for 17 weeks in 1998. 17 weeks today would cost $300. Uh, I'll get by without having access to Panthers vs. Raiders, but thanks..

[/quote]

Not me. If I have money on the Panthers or Raiders, I'll be cised to watch that game. Or any other game.

Wonder how much the price of ST has increased over the last 5 years?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

NFLPA has no power because too many players need the paychecks and do not save any money at all.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they should go to 18 games and start guaranteeing contracts.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Understand that some teams abuse it but take a look at week 4 injury report and notice how many players did not practice.

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

4 weeks into season and already many banged up.

I would assume that Vegas is all for 2 extra games.

5. Mizzougrad96

The NFLPA has no power because Gene Upshaw was in the owners' back pocket. Despite playing the biggest revenue generating sport in the country, the NFLPA has about a tenth of the power of the MLBPA and that's because of poor leadership over a long period of time.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Frankly if this comes to be, coaches of teams pretty sure of going to the playoffs like the Colts, Pats and Saints should start resting players for entire games.

Good strategy might be figuring out which weeks to rest Dwight Freeney, Wes Welker or Johnathan Vilma.

It would bring more of a a baseball/basketball mentality to coaching. And in no way should starters play more than one or two series in preseasons games if the regular season is 18 games.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No. In the proposals I read about, the extra regular-season games would take the place of preseason games. So teams would play two or three preseason games, then start the ones that count.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Upshaw's leadership wasn't the only problem. The players fucked themselves when so many of them crossed the picket lines in 1987.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why does football need a "basketball/ baseball mentality" ?

"Adrian you have been scruffin it the past few weeks, we're gonna give you a rest today and start Toby"
    "

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It doesn't. But it will be the smart way to operate if there are 18 regular season games and Goodell keeps overplaying his hand.

Doesn't the CBA allow the NFL to go to 20 or 22 games per season? It would be mildly funny if Goodell found a way to screw up the hegemony his league has in the next few years. College football could become king if they keep doing this.

11. Mizzougrad96

Very true.

12. Mizzougrad96

I don't think they're going to start that much earlier, probably a week at most and then push everything back a week. I hope that means they get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl, but I doubt it will.

Goodell has said before that he thinks the NFL can play as deep into February as they want, and he's probably right.

Draft saved Draft deleted