1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "problem" with SNL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Oct 21, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I just watched the Wahlberg/Samberg sketch on Hulu, and I think I know why I can't watch SNL anymore.

Everything was going great, I was cracking up and then bam, it hit a wall. The skit ran an extra 15 seconds longer than i needed to, complete with that douchebag Samberg running away like an idiot, and it completely ruined it.

When the show was funny, every skit was tight, every second of the sketch was needed. Sure, there were some duds, as there are bound to be, bu I never remember scenes going long for the sake of going long. It's like a writer who knows how to use words just right compared to the one who won't STFU.

Kind of like me right now. So I'll stop.
    Now.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You just had to go and throw that 'Now" in there, didn't ya?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The problem with SNL is that it is 20 minutes of very good material, 20 minutes of good material and 10 minutes of music in a 90 minute show. defintely about 30 minutes too long.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sandberg is better than that no talent ass clown Fred Armisan.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

didn't snl drop from 90 minutes to 60 minutes a long time ago? like a couple of decades?

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My post from the Oct. 4 SNL, which I feel is by far the best of the season.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

It's not that funny anymore.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hmmm, i could've sworn snl went to 60 minutes a long time ago but apparently not. maybe at my age i just fall asleep before the show ends.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The reruns are usually 60 minutes long (usually omit the musical guest and some of the last 30-minutes skits), but SNL has always been 90 minutes.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They don't do nearly enough timely sketches. In the past, especially in election years, they would do 45 minutes of timely stuff, have Update and then fill in with the non-timely stuff after Update.

I saw an interview with David Spade where he said the problem is that the cast doesn't write stuff for each other anymore. They're too obsessed with creating starring vehicles for themselves in the hopes of getting a spinoff movie. MacGruber is the perfect example of this.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You also see this in second-generation Family Guy episodes. Jokes and flashbacks were concise and snappy. The current crop, most of them go anywhere from 10-60 seconds too long; no small accomplishment for a 22-minute show. You can almost see where the writers would have stopped the scene had this been an original-era episode.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

SNL bits have ALWAYS gone on longer than they should. Always. We just tend to remember our favorite specific moments and we see the classics in brief clips.

I think if you went back and watched the skits you remember as your all-time favorites in their entirety, you'd find they petered out at the end. It's kind of like a hallmark of the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted