1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problem every editor would kill to have

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, Oct 30, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm still in the middle of putting my weekly paper to bed, but I wanted to come up for air for a second.

This week, my paper has more pages than it's ever had since I've been there. I've got 22 stories, five opinion columns, and plenty of art. I had to take away a page that wasn't filler because I had more stuff to put in. Instead of scrambling to fill holes, I've been scrambling to find room.

Days like that make me love my job.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great. Hope you didn't write all the stories, though, f-town.

3. forever_town

I wrote one story, one column and two crime briefs. Everything else was my full-time reporter and freelance writers.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Every community newspaper editor's dream: Being able to cut stuff. Have fun with it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

when i was at a NE weekly the last 4 years, there were many weeks in a row i had to fill 16 pages. crazy weeks they were, but satisfying, too.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does sound like a great week.

7. forever_town

I forgot the best part: No wire and no filler pages.

Before I became editor here, this paper ran an average of five wire stories a week. Since I've come on board, we've averaged about one every two weeks. We used to run two neighbors pages before I came on board. Now we run one, which means I have one more page to fill.

I'd better enjoy this while it lasts.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The weekly paper I am working at part-time had to add four pages in the middle of the day before publication. It's the last issue for election stuff, and they sold at least one full-page ad, plus all the candidate profiles.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I learned a lot having to fill upwards of 18 pages in a weekly a few years back.

10. spud

spud Member

While I chopped my reporter's copy down to fit my page this afternoon, I could hear his inner-self squeal with pain while I reveled in the fact that I kept out an AP story I had no interest in running.

Then there are those other kinds of days...

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

16 and ditto.

12. forever_town

Same deal again this week. I had stuff I could have held if I needed to. When one story came in a lot shorter than I expected, I had one waiting in the wings that I could use.

I've had to fill 16 pages again this week. No problem. I still have one or two things I could put on if I could just ... get ... one ... more ... PAGE!

This week's count is 28 stories, two opinion columns, the rest photos. I had to kill an arts page to get one more page of news. There were some ads we had to kill because the creative wasn't in. And I still wish I had more room.

Draft saved Draft deleted