1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The price of freedom?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 20, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't see why anyone's upset. Once we caught the suspect last night, everything was OK. We were able to cheer away any bad things that happened. People need to stop complaining and move on. It's all good.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of course I'm serious.

We're talking about a radicalized Muslim, who we had been warned about, and who had traveled to parts of the world where he could have received training. He had also exhibited his radical views through his social media account(s), including his YouTube channel.

Folks who know him describe him as having become more religious, and more radical in recent years.

Yes, the Feds need to be plugged into these communities, and need to be aware of folks who are becoming more radical -- especially if they've already been warned about the individual.

You don't need to put him under 24-hour observation, but you need to keep an eye on him, and check in with him from time to time.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

YF, you have no clue to the number of people the FBI has on their radar.

You just suggested flagging everyone that looked at an article. Do you have any idea how many people that is?

Do you have any idea how many different types of nut jobs the FBI follows each year? Right to lifers, Obama haters, gun owners off the rails, religious zealots , Eco terrorists, the just plain fucking crazy and other causes I cannot think of right now.

We had two active bombers loose in a major city and they did not hurt any citizens. The FBI and all of law enforcement will sign that scorecard every Sunday.

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Bush haters. You forgot Bush haters.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because of the origination of two 9/11 flights from here, and because of the international nature of the student community, I'm betting the list of people the FBI has visited on suspicion of terrorist ties is not short, and that this guy was way down on the prioritizing of said list.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fact is, there is absolutely no way to prevent an attack like this.

If a couple of guys want to build bombs and light them off at the Boston Marathon or a mall in Omaha we aren't going to be able to stop them unless they ask an FBI informant for help along the way.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's dog again with the gay thing.

8. YankeeFan

You think it's a crazy idea to check up on the people who look at Inspire magazine, and their instructions on how to use a pressure cooker to build a bomb? Really? That's crazy?

As for checking up on people, do you realize the U.S. Secret Service checks in on all sorts of people who are on their radar because they are a potential threat to the President? And, they will personally pay them a visit if the President is visiting their city, and tell them to stay away from the President.

The FBI has the means to keep an eye on individuals who pose a threat. We were warned about this guy. All you have to do is monitor is social media, and his travel.

From time to time you look and see if he's become more radical, which acquaintances said he had.

Is he visiting radical websites? Is he talking to foreign supporters of Jihad? Is he traveling overseas for training?

All of this is exactly what counter terrorism entails.

9. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

No, just that thousands upon thousands of liberals kind of overwhelmed the FBI 2000-2008.

10. YankeeFan

Oh, and they killed one cop, and wounded another. That doesn't count?

The FBI is thrilled with that?

11. This ...

12. I think that's an acceptable stance to If I want to board an airplane or enter a country.
    To enter my home? Not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted