1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The price of freedom?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 20, 2013.

1. That's my point. And to me, it's an issue.

To your last point .. He could have done that at any point. ANY. POINT. After he escaped the initial shootout with police. That's not really an escape plan.
    Part of the problem is we get into these what if and worst case scenarios. And we let the government continue to erode rights and liberties - and spend our tax dollars - based on those fears and their attempts to alleviate them.
    School systems are spending millions of dollars to lockdown schools and put in bullet proof glass in the name of safety for the children and the school.
    But you go to the BOE meeting on Tuesday night or the local basketball game and football game and you can walk right in. How is that safe?

It seems like we are going overboard here.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And then sign off on new schools next to fertilizer plants.

3. One more point and I'm done ... We have camera phones, Twitter and Instagram ... Once police release a photo or information of a suspect how long does it take before a free public is able to provide information to authorities? The police here instituted a most wanted campaign on TV and in the paper a few years ago. They have a near-perfect record of catching those featured because of the publicity. Not due to a lockdown and house-to-house search.

As Gee noted ... police got the tips they needed when the lockdown ended.

4. Or hold school in underground bunkers and make sure they have bulletproof vests and helmets for recess.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Suppose it had been a disaster that didn't involve human beings. If there was a toxic gas leak from a plant somewhere in the greater Boston area and the authorities shut down transit and told everybody to stay indoors, would that be a violation of civil liberties? Emergency measures are for emergencies!

6. When the suspect was caught last night, my Twitter feed overflowed with praise for the police and FBI, which I still don't understand.

They allowed a 19-year-old to shut down an entire city, allowed him to successfully elude a gun fight (on foot, it appears), botched a house-to-house search when the suspect was under their nose and then ONLY discovered the suspect after a resident stepped outside for a smoke. If that's a roaring success, I'd hate to see failure.

7. Boom_70

That's where I am at also. When the black Mercedes SUV starting heading towards the police what happened? How did they lose track. Was there no cars available to follow? What about the helicopters ?

The guy was cornered and managed to evade for 24 hours. Not good policework in my mind.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'd open the door, invite them in with open arms and make 'em breakfast. Then I'd pray for their safety and pray they'd be able to bring in the individual(s) to stand trial.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"And one thing I’d like to point out is that the system worked. Everybody played an important role here.

So the whole process of making sure that we respond properly, correctly and effectively went very smoothly."

-- Janet Napolitano

10. Boom_70

or not

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

It worked as it should work, with necessary cooperation from citizens, beginning with photos/video and ending with the tip from the resident.

12. Boom_70

If it worked as it should work the black suv would not have evaded dozens of police cars and helicopters

Draft saved Draft deleted