1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The price of college textbooks ... wow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

And very unsatisfying pre-martial sex.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Are you attempting a "newspapers are drowning" cross thread?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you're like 15, kev?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You musta went to the wrong college, ma'am.

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I believe there is a program/service that now does that, it doesn't have EVERY textbook, but it has a lot. I'll see if I can find the link to the story that had it.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ahhh. Them were the days.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

How the hell did you manage to get that out of my response, Tom?

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

LOL. You called him "Kev." :)

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't think I quite understand the reasoning of your comments, but okay.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My mom showed me her tuition statement from her senior year in 1978 and it was cheaper than what I spent on books. Average was $500, although I had one semester where I spent $150. The biggest drains were political science, history and English classes.

One of my friends spent $180 on one book for one of her engineering classes, though.

The thing I always noticed - the classes which inflicted the most pain during the course of the semester...that would be the textbook that the bookstore refused to buy back. That would be why I have an advertising book, a microeconomics book, a Spanish 4 book (the worst class I may have ever taken with a final that still gives me nightmares) and a business administration text.

12. 2mcm: half.com.

listen to what i'm saying.

it saved me a bundle when i spent two years at a juco (which was the whole point of doing the juco thing) -- especially since used comm books always seemed to be "out of stock" at the campus bookstore. nice way to get you to pony up $60, or so they thought. also resold a lot of those books for decent prices on half. maybe got 60 percent return on them, after s&h and seller fees.

by the time i got to big state u, i was too drunk to care about it, and most of the books i had were books i was keeping for the long term (i.e. comm law book).

Draft saved Draft deleted