1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The price of college textbooks ... wow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's a joke. I've been in school the last two years, including a full course load each summer, and I can't imagine how much I've spent on books. I'll usually go a week or so before buying just to see if I can slide by without. It's worked a few times.

This semester, my last, I paid just less than $400 for TWO books. And I've found recently that there are fewer and fewer used books. Prolly because you don't get shit for them when you sell them back. If I tried selling these two books back, which I probably won't for various reasons, I'd prolly get $30 per book.

2. JackReacher

At least in my experience, books have cost way more than my wedding cost. And I had a kick-ass wedding.

If your marriage fails Granny, you know who to call. :)

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Now, think about it for a second, did you "need" college to succeed in your career. (We both know the answer to that.) Or did someone say you "needed" college to succeed. All college does is put you in debt for a job that pays less than what a manager at Dominos Pizza makes -- and that ahole doesn't need a degree to tell pimple-faced pukes how to properly put pepperoni on a pizza.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

STOP calling college a joke. Sending this last child to college is the only shot I have of someone taking care of me in my old age. :)

I really need to believe that this one is going to make something of herself.

5. JackReacher

Honestly, my degree will do nothing but remind me how much I spent on two years in the most worthless journalism department ever created.

I've definitely not needed it to succeed in my current career, but I will definitely need it to advance in this career or start over in another.

And, had I known this biz would be in the state it's in two years ago, I would have definitely chosen a different path. For sure.

Them's the breaks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I found it funny how much we really needed from our textbooks. I took a Currents in British Literature course my senior year and we were required to buy a huge anthology which we only read a quarter of, if that. I took an American Government course and probably used the book about two or three times for the entire semester and still walked out with an 'A.'

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Not a joke. It's a racket. Like car safety-inspections ("Sorry, mam," Officer Handle-Bar Mustache says. "But you can't drive your car to work if it fails inspection." "Um, well, how the fuck am I supposed to pay to fix that goddamned handle on my window-roller-downer thingy if I don't work?" you reply. Of course, Officer Friendly can't answer that.)

8. JackReacher

I bought every book my first semester, but as I got to know each professor and how they ran his or her class, I figured out which classes I'd need books for and which ones I didn't. And for the electives, as I said before, I just went a week or three until I could figure out if I needed the book.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I'm going to stop reading the thread and instead believe that some good will come out of her finishing college. I NEED to believe that it's a good thing. Maybe I'll go over to Granny's thread and post something mean about her before it gets locked.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

No. Good things happen from graduating college. The cost, however, does not even out the rewards. (Unless we're talking Doctor or the like.)

But go ahead anyway and post something mean. You earned it, LiesIntx.

11. JackReacher

There's always some good that comes with being a college student. Like no cover with a college ID.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Amazing they haven't figured out a way to put textbooks online that you would have to pay to access. It would be cheaper, more easily updated and probably more profitable for the publishers. Imagine saving the cost of paper, printing and distribution. Of course the bookstores might lose some revenue, but it would all be relative.

Draft saved Draft deleted