1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Presumptuous Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

SI has started an interesting new plan to keep their subscription renewals intact.

I received a card in today's mail telling me that my subscription would be automatically renewed for 2 years and rate would be charged to my credit card on file . In return I would be getting a free steelers retro t shirt.

I don't recall ever giving SI this permission. I bet there will be a big back lash

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Back lash? I certainly hope we've advanced from such medieval practices (and one usually pays extra for that, anyway)

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I got charged to renew about a month ago, despite not receiving magazines for nearly four months before that. I called them and got that same bullshit.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'll never again pay for a magazine subscription with a credit card...they all automatically renew...AS A COURTESY!! So I won't be interrupted!!

And of course it's easier to just keep the damn thing than go through the 29 step process to cancel....so the bastards win.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A couple of years ago I stopped taking The Sporting News because they constantly were calling to ask me to renew ... 3 months to go on your subscription, would you like to renew? ... 6 months remaining, we're calling to see if you'd like to renew?

Sure, why not just sign me up till I'm dead.

Also, all those SI commercials offering that free shit for new subscribers? I always wondered why the regular subscribers didn't get some of that swag.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how does the shirt look? ;D

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There would be no backlash if they still gave away this:

[​IMG]

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fuck that.

[​IMG]

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Folks are getting sneaky. I got some random DVD a few weeks back from some NASCAR licenser, I had to return it in a special envelope with a card saying I did not want it, or else they'd assume I was keeping it and would be willing to pay X dollars for it. That, of course, would be followed with a zillion bills that would probably be impossible to get out of.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Got that, too, That kind of marketing clearly should be illegal, but as long as the all-business-all-the-time adenoidal idiots run the juduciary, not holding my breath.

11. But how does Boom look in the shirt?
    Franco Harris or LC Greenwood?

12. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Ben, WTF is the judiciary supposed to do about it unless some citizen takes action??? Is a law being broken?

Oh, and those goatblowers who do that marketing can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned...

Draft saved Draft deleted