1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The pressure is off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Dec 28, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

My sister-in-law of six months announced today that (she thinks) she's pregnant. It just was Christmas Day of last year that my brother proposed and the wedding was in late June.

Bro isn't admitting to anything until he hears it straight from a doctor, but SIL said it's the first time she's ever been late and the EPT came up positive.

The most important part of this whole thing is my mother will now have a grandchild on this continent (I've got a 9-year-old nephew in Australia). It's a responsibility I no longer have to worry about fulfilling. I can now concentrate on being the creepybachelor uncle who no one talks aboutspoils and dotes on the niece/nephew to be.

I can only imagine what next year's Christmas announcement will be.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I actually stopped my Mom short on this one at Thanksgiving. My sisters are both 42, and I'm 38. No weddings, no grandkids. So, Mom happened to sigh at TG, and opine about no grandkids. I responded "Well, Mom, I hoped to tell you when the time was right, but a girl I know from the bar, well... erm... she told me the rabbit died." That shut that shit off tout suite. I was kidding, of course, but Mom did see the peril in getting what you wish for.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You stopped short with your mom? That's Frank's move!

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just tell your mom you only go anal.

Problem solved.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

PB, you'd think that's the case, but I've found out recently that it mostly works the other way. It just makes the grandparents hungry for more.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Spoken like a true asshole... ;D

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Future cousin (through marriage, at least) just had a baby in November or October.

They were over at my aunt's -- her soon-to-be step mom -- for Christmas. All damn day, family kept asking when the next baby was coming around.

I'm 23 and single and my oldest cousin is just 17. Unless, God forbid, Jasmine gets pregnant soon, there won't be any other babies for awhile.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Yeah, but I figure I've got about two years before that becomes a big problem, maybe more. The due date would be late August and mom will be totally wrapped up with grandchild No. 2 through at least the first birthday. Christmas 2010 would be the first where the kid would understand that it gets to rip open presents even if the reason why isn't exactly clear.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

All I can tell you is I love being an Aunt more than anything else in this world!

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My grandfather died at 101 with no grandchildren. In the 9 years since he died, one cousin has adopted twice. The other three of us -- no marriages, no kids. My family is contracting. I have 10 first cousins, all but one is over 30. Only three are married, only 2 have kids.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This makes my brain hurt.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Being an uncle is the best.

Not sure if I'll ever become a father (as all of SJ faints at the possibility), but saying "who's my best buddy?" and hearing my nephew say "You!" is about the best feeling imaginable...topped only the other night when he put a pillow on my lap and conked out while watching Charlie Brown Christmas. My sister says "He NEVER does that with anyone but us. EVER."

Pretty awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted