1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Polygamist Wives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 22, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't let this guy ANYWHERE near Amish country or we'll have problems on our hands.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And high cholesterol.

3. The Washington Post had a chat with a former member of one of these (if not this) sects who has written a book. She said that the womens' lives are so controlled that their hair is one of the only things they have any personal choice in. That's why you see such elaborate styles. And if your frame of reference when it comes to style ends in the 1890s, that's probably what you're going to end up with.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"Turn out the lights, baby. Oh, never mind."

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How many ways are there to braid one's hair?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's what i don't get about this mess: Why do these children have to be terrorized and scared and placed with complete strangers, separated from anyone they know? Why not remove the men? If this is about men who allegedly committed crimes against the children by marrying and having sex with them, why not throw THEM into detention centers to sleep on cots, until this is sorted out?

And yes, I know the legal barriers...but it's outrageous that all these innocent kids can be uprooted and shoved around like furniture, and the adults get to stay where they are.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because we have to protect the children...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point, 21. Hadn't thought of that.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Texas' CPS isn't one of the better organizations to ever come down the pike.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The women, mothers, were complicit in the torture of these young girls. Why keep the children with these women?

If you don't think that the mothers of these tortured children are not fully in line with the thinking, just listen to the interviews.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is there a legal way to eject every single adult male from the compound?

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I was thinking about this. If I were an all-powerful leader of a cult and can force my wardrobe choices on the women who are members -- why wouldn't I put them all in halter tops and short shorts?
    And no, that is not a plea to see these particular women in short-shorts.
    Was speaking theoretically, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted