1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The polish is off Apple

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Everyone's favorite anti-Microsoft alternative can do the stupid corporate thing quite nicely, thank you.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article1211622.ece

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yep, another company tries to cash in quickly on its well-earned reputation, costing it long-term endurance. I loved both iBooks I had, but premature hardware issues, coupled with paltry customer service (standard in the industry) caused me to switch to a Dell.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Had this ibook for about a year now without one major issue (/fingerscrossed).

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'm reading this on a lovely new MacBook that I got two weeks ago. So far, it's still white.

Frankly, as long as it still operates perfectly, I don't give a shit what it looks like.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If I buy a Macbook, I think I'd prefer the black one.

But given that the base Macbook doesn't have high-end video hardware, I'd probably gravitate toward the Pro versionone.

oneBecause I'd need it to run X Plane.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Having a manufacturing defect isn't a "stupid corporate thing."

Having to restate earnings and announcing that all its financial communications for the past four years should not be relied upon ... now that is a "stupid corporate thing."

http://tinyurl.com/ldhph

LOS ANGELES, Aug 3 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. said on Thursday it would likely need to restate earnings and will delay filing its quarterly report because of additional irregularities it found in its accounting of stock options and its shares fell 6.6 percent.

Apple first announced on June 29 that it was conducting an internal probe into irregularities related to stock option grants, hired an independent counsel to conduct its own investigation of the irregularities and notified the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Apple, maker of the iPod digital music player and Macintosh computer, is now among the most high-profile companies caught up in a stock options scandal that has swept through the technology industry. The SEC has more than 80 investigations underway to determine if companies manipulated the prices of stock options given to executives.

Cupertino, California-based Apple will likely need to restate results to record noncash charges for compensation expense relating to past stock option grants. Apple said it had not determined the amount of the charges, resulting tax and accounting impacts, or which periods may require restating.

Apple also said in a SEC regulatory filing Thursday that all financial communications issued since Sept. 29, 2002, should not be relied upon. The irregularities are related to the issuance of stock option grants made between 1997 and 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted