1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The plot to behead Stephen Harper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Nope. Not much in our country anyway. I need to get Sirius ...

2. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

I'm hoping this story is sarcasm of the highest order.

The ties that bind 17 suspects?
    Jun. 4, 2006. 07:15 AM
    SURYA BHATTACHARYA, NASREEN GULAMHUSEIN AND HEBA ALY
    STAFF REPORTERS

In investigators' offices, an intricate graph plotting the links between the 17 men and teens charged with being members of a homegrown terrorist cell covers at least one wall. And still, says a source, it is difficult to find a common denominator.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1149371435839

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Very awkward, I agree.

The point the story is trying to make (I think) is that the 17 are from many different sectors of society. Some are employed, some are not. Some are university grads, some are not. Some attend the same high school. Some met on the net and began to plot there, others appear to have been recruited. Some were perhaps more suited for or dedicated to "the cause," some seem to have been way out of their element.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here's a wild guess:

MUSLIM

That's quite a newspaper. Can they ignore the elephant in the room any better?

5. poindexter

Google
    canada terror muslim 17 suspects

and you get :
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,000,000 for canada terror muslim 17 suspects. (0.44 seconds)

But the Star couldn't figure it out.

I'm starting to understand the Canadians here a little better.

6. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

A muslim threat??? never saw that one coming

7. poindexter

Is "The Star" an actual newspaper? Because the story reads like some sort of politically correct satire. Maybe "The Star" is like The Onion.
    And still, says a source, it is difficult to find a common denominator is pure brilliance.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
    The point that is being made is as Double J put it ...

And yes, the Star is a 'real' newspaper. Although maybe we should have your definition of a 'fake' newspaper, just so we can be clear.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

From the byline, I'm guessing the reporters are Muslim and are very much aware that the suspects are all Muslim as well.

I think they're looking for a common denominator that's not quite so obvious. That's just a guess on my part.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

So anyone else eagerly awaiting the SportsJournalists.com outting?
    Remind me to leave my burkha at home.
    Guess I'm not going to the top of the CN Tower.

11. That's all very true, JJ, but the one unifying trait all these people had was that they're all Muslim.

Seems like that trumps everything. Every time.

12. In fact, I'd say this sums it up pretty well:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/06/why_would_muslims_target_canad.html

Draft saved Draft deleted