1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The plot to behead Stephen Harper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet...pretty damn scary

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060606/ap_on_re_ca/canada_terrorism_arrests

Some of the 17 Muslim men accused of plotting terror bombings in Canada also planned to storm Parliament, take hostages and behead the prime minister and other leaders, according to accusations revealed Tuesday by the lawyer for one of the suspects.

Authorities further allege that the suspect, Steven Vikash Chand, plotted to take over media outlets, including Canadian Broadcasting Corp., his attorney said after a brief hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice.
    The case has stunned many Canadians, who have not experienced such a major anti-terrorism case since security measures were intensified after the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States.

"It's breathtaking that this is going on in Canada," International Trade Minister David Emerson told the CBC. "To see the homegrown nature of it is shocking to me."

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Canada is 98% non-Muslim, yet each of these 17 guys were Muslim.

What are the odds? Yowsa. Whooda thunk it?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Good Lord, don't take out the CBC! Noooooooo, what would we ever do without it? Speaking of things that have run their course ...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Tread lightly there Flash. JR and I got into a huge fight over the importance of the CBC, I think it was about this time last year. I do, however, full heartedly agree with you though.

That being said - it was only a matter of time before something like this happened, or before a similar plot is actually carried out. We are the on;ly country on that infamous list from a few years ago that has not been attacked, I believe we were number 5 on that list.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it weren't for CBC we'd have to endure constant re-runs of Canadian Idol.

Bitch and moan all you want but what other network would show a  multi-part documentary like "The Story of God" that CBC has aired over  the last couple of weeks.

CBC bashing is so fucking old and tiresome.

Not to mention CBC radio which is a respite from Jack FM.  

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes, in all seriousness, the Stampede is one of the top targets. That's scary.

(CTV and the Olympics is a signal of the end of the CBC ... I hope.)

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't watch it but for the hockey games. And I don't listen to radio. Any. Few stations play the music I like (but for when I'm in the mood for poppy 80s, then it's all about Jack).

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I will give you that the CBC has given us some pretty wonderful programs, like Kids in the Hall, Four on the Floor, This Hour Has 22 Minutes (which has run its course) and anything Rick Mercer.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I find this story a little over the top.

Not to diminish the seriousness of the threat, but my gut reaction is these guys have amateur hour written all over them.

Storm the Parliament Buildings? Please. As if there aren't heavily armed security guards all over the place.

At least Harper maintained his sense of  humour:

In Ottawa, Harper appeared to take the alleged beheading threat in stride. "I can live with these threats as long as they're not from my caucus," he joked.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Is Rene' Simard still on anywhere?   8)

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Besides, our Prime Ministers punch people and give them the finger. :D

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

CBC has been a terrific training ground for electronic journalists, many of whom have distinguished themselves in the United States.

There was a great four hour special last Saturday called "Comedy Gold" about the influence Canadian comedy has had on American culture.

SNL: Lorne Michaels was a Canadian who was married to Rosie Shuster, a long time SNL writer who was the daughter of the famed Frank Shuster of Wayne & Shuster fame. All graduates of CBC. Just one example

Draft saved Draft deleted