1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 3, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So maybe in terms of pizza, it is an abomination. :)

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My favorite pizza right now has apples and green onions. I asked my wife WTF about the apples when she ordered them, but damn if it isn't good.

Also has bacon. Mmmmm. This pizza has won some regional contests and such, so I'm sticking with it.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Apples? WTF kinda pizza salad is that?

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This post has produced conflicting feelings. Still processing.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On a side note, in the 90s, there was an NBa team a short while, had a promotion with a pizza company where if they held the opponents to under a certain number of points, fans could turn in their ticket stubs to the company for a free pizza.

So, if the opponents were under the total, the fans would chant for pizza, and in a few games, the NBA team would press on defense, even if they were up a comfortable margin. Finally, they got criticized for it and the promotion ended.

7. Mr. Sunshine

I've only seen it at a handful of places in Chicago, but roast beef pizza is fucking awesome.

Songbird likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this same feeling, but I just had to go to the kitchen and make a snack. This thread made me really hungry. And I'm trying to watch my calories, damnit!

9. Mr. Sunshine

Experimenting last time I made pizza at home, I made a "ham" and cheese pie with pancetta and cheddar.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The least surprising thing about this thread is that by page two it had turned into a discussion about Papa John's, Pizza Hut and corndogs.

[​IMG]

This is a pie from Juliana's in Brooklyn, NY. Maybe the 10th best pie in NY -- although I won't begrudge anyone putting it slightly higher or lower on their list. Opinions vary. The sauce is perfectly balanced. Handpicked, sweet tomatoes with a little hint of acidity and a beautiful consistency. Just the right amount of herbs sprinkled on. A touch of basil -- I'd prefer they lay it on a little heavier, but c'est la vie. The pools of fresh bufala mozzarella are amazing. Subtle and complex -- at the same time. The pizza is kissed -- and just kissed -- in a coal-fired oven that burns only slightly cooler than an active volcano. The finished pie is close to flawless. A perfectly thin crust with just the right amount of crispiness and a melding of flavors that screams perfection.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Last time I made a pizza at home it was a buffalo chicken pizza. Time before that, bbq chicken. Time before that....ok, it was like pepperoni and green pepper - nothing too exciting. Time before that was a taco pizza though. Fact: Making your own pizza dough is fun.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The local MLB team does a similar promotion if the pitchers combine to strike out 10 batters. Then, you have to drive to the furniture place that sponsors the promotion, get you voucher, then go get your pizza. And people go nuts for that free 5-dollar medium cheese pie from Papa John's.

Draft saved Draft deleted