1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (physically) oldest CD you own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I received my first CD player as a holiday gift in 1985 along with copies of The Alarm's Declaration and a collection of science fiction movie themes by Cincinnatti Pops Orchestra.

The oldest CDs that I own are Neil Young's Freedom and a few John Zorn CDs.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Alarm is one of the all-time underrated bands. Great disc, too.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Held out against CDs until I married Mrs. Coco in 1994, just out of college. She had a combo CD/tape player/radio (we still have the same one, actually).

At the time, I argued that CDs were just a ploy by the record companies to make you re-purchase all the albums you already owned in a new format. You know, kind of like VHS to DVD to Blu Ray to ???.

Anyway, after I got over myself, I think the first CD I bought was "Psychoderilict" by Pete Townshend. Don't think he'll be playing any of those tunes during the Super Bowl halftime show!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't buy a CD till 2001 or so. The first was (What's the Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

First CD I bought was Chicago's Greatest Hits in 1988. Still have it.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sure, they still make them. At Best Buy, they usually have a compilation section. At places like Wal-Mart or Meijer, they usually have a aisle display (half is cheaper DVDs, half are cheaper CDs and about half of those are the compilations).

Sometimes, they also have them in little tin cases with 3-4 CDs for about $10.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The English Beat, "What is Beat" ... Bought it the summer of 1984 at Cat's Records on West End in Nashville after buying a CD player next door at Circuit City with my construction job money.

I still play it about 2 times a month.

U.S. CD
    "Mirror In the Bathroom" 3:07
    "Twist & Crawl" 2:33
    "Tears of a Clown" 2:39
    "Can't Get Used To Losing You" 3:23 (remix)
    "Doors of Your Heart" 2:59
    "What's Your Best Thing" 3:47 (UK single)
    "Hit It" 3:00 (UK single)
    "Save It For Later" 4:54 (12" version)
    "Best Friend" 3:02
    "I Confess" 5:45 (12" remix)
    "Too Nice To Talk To" 3:05 (UK single)
    "Get a Job/Stand Down Margaret" 6:40 (recorded live in Boston, November 19, 1982)

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think the first CD I bought (which I still have) was a Count Basie-Duke Ellington collaboration. Bought it when I got my first CD player, Christmas 1986.

I remember that CDs were hard to find then because the blank discs weren't being manufactured fast enough.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Queen greatest hits...early 90s.

Although I now own several out of print CDs from the 80s which probably could fetch a few bucks if i put them on ebay.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The first was in the late 80s. A radio station I was working at did a compilation for clients.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

AC/DC - "High Voltage", which was given to me by my sister's high school boyfriend sometime around 1990... The first one I bought myself was Nirvana - "Nevermind" in '92.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who didn't have an MP3 player and still used CDs.

Draft saved Draft deleted