1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The perfect tie knot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I Have to wear a tie every day at the new gig which is fine if I can get the knot right.

On day's like today though, I had the perfect windsor knot for about 10 minutes, before the part that crosses over in the front started slipping. I guess it doesn't like me very much.

I've tried everything. Doing different varieties of knots, re-tying the tie, using thicker ties, thinner ties, silky ties, ugly ties (okay I don't own any ugly ties) nothing works!

I cannot keep the knot completely tight throughout the day. I can get the tie as tight as can be around my neck, to the point where I can barely breathe. It will stay that way the whole day, but the not, it slips.

Anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong?

I realize this is possibly the worst place to come for tie advice since I worked in the journalism business for 2+ years and never wore a tie. Dammit.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Windsor knots are really fat and old fashioned, in my opinion.

Try a half windsor. It's simpler to tie, allows for a little length on the tie, and I don't see how the knot could slip. If it's a neck thing, depending on where you work, you can often get away with the top button open, tie loose during the day, if you don't do it like a total slob.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

On days like today, where I am wearing a spread collar, I have to wear a windsor not. If I had a point collar or something I'd go with a half-windsor or four-in-hand. Regardless of the type of knot it always slips. Again, I'm not talking about it coming loose from my neck. I'm talking about the front part of the tie, which is supposed to cover the garbled mess of the knot, slipping down about a quarter to a half inch. It will not stay put. It's like the not itself coming loose, but it is still staying on my neck.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree with Ragu unless you want to look like Richard Nixon you should use half windsor. if tied correctly it's fine with Spread Collar

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I also like a half-windsor. It's quicker, easier and has a little more casual feel. It doesn't look like you're trying too hard. The full Windsor can be especially difficult with wide and/or bullkier ties.

And I prefer a pinpoint collar with ties, although sometimes I'll wear a button-down. The spread collar is a bit too Tony Blair-European for me.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Used to be able to tie a mean half-windsor. Then I went something like 6 years without needing to tie a tie. Now I can't do it worth a damn. Sigh.

7. Boom_70

other problem with Windsor is if tie is not long enough it ends up half way up your shirt.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

check youtube. they have videos to teach how to tie a tie.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go with the four-in-hand knot.

[​IMG]

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Also true. Here's a combination big-knot, spread-collar disaster:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Boom_70

Good if you are pledging for fraternity