1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Penn State penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I think it was the paycheck.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Two ways of looking at O'Brien. If he makes chicken salad out of chickenshit here, he'll be looked upon as a miracle worker.

3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

People say the players don't deserve this...well, how do we not know that the players knew what Sandusky was? That somewhere the cover up sprung a leak....even in hearsay and they just shrugged and went on....

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know how much he made at SC, but I don't think he got paid a whole lot at Notre Dame. Certainly well below market, back when Notre Dame could lowball.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Lou is not only delusional but simply a little prick.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Scott Drew's done OK.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Players are free to leave and are eligible immediately at any other institution.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

They will be lucky to meet the 65 limit. On top of all the seniors, there will be tons of transfers. They could easily lose 40 or more by the end of the year, and can only replace them with 15. They could be around 50 for the next few years and cap out around 60 in the last year (+ any redshirt freshman from this year, but I doubt many of them will stick around). They could even end up in the 40's in year 2. Most of the transfers will be Freshman and Sophomores. They could literally lose 70 in the next couple of years and only replace them with 30.

9. jr/shotglass

There are good arguments against what you're saying, but I don't want to get into that in a thread which has been refreshingly free of vitriol.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Upon reflection, I do have a problem with one of the penalties - the fine.

The NCAA says they can't reducing funding for other sports. The football program won't be generating 60 large for decades to come. So that means the taxpayers of Pennsylvania are on the hook for a fiat payment demanded by a private organization. Damn right I'd look at filing suit if I still lived in the commonwealth.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Which means little at most schools because admission deadlines have passed.

12. jr/shotglass

With all due respect, I think you're way overselling that, Gehrig. They weren't getting a whole lot of four-star recruits lately anyway. And some of the three-star recruits are simply going to be replaced by two-star recruits. When you get into that, you're looking at the ability of a staff to coach them up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.