1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The PD is racist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Aug 30, 2007.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

Mizzou did you read the previous post on this issue.

I agree he is the best columnist in the state. If I were in PD shoes I would do the same thing, however, I would have also added another kind of voice and make two hires.

That is because in my estimation, you have three similiar experiences in 3 mid-50s white guys as columnists.

The problem is that the P-D didnt even post the job for competition.

The PD says it will make up for the Pluto hire with diversity elsewhere in the paper.

I don't understand the logic there, but we will see.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know too many papers right now that can make two hires when they have one opening...

For all I know, the complaints about not having a minority voice at the Plain Dealer are legit... But that has nothing to do with the hiring of Terry Pluto...

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You don't understand the logic?

Come ON.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Part of me wants to say who gives a F about having a black voice at the paper. Just because you have three white guys about the same age that doesn't mean that they all have similar experiences.
    A perfect example of this is in my town. The most popular DJ at the most popular hip-hop station is, wait for it, a white guy.
    He knows the black community, better than the black community. He got married to the daughter of a civil rights pioneer, who is black, and the paper made a big deal of their wedding.
    That's when many in town found out he was white.
    People didn't know how to react.
    But based on the reaction to the Pluto hiring, that radio station should have hired a black guy and not the best talent available at the time.
    What a stupid model for business and for the community. Why put your outlet in the postion of not putting out the best possible product in the name of diversity? Not only does it hurt the final product, it makes it less essential to the community, and that further hurts the product.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Have we talked about Madden's covers...?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Prepare to get obliterated.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The truth shall set me free

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Jay, sorry, but if you can't see the benefit of diverse voices writing for a newspaper that has a very diverse readership, there's really no place for the discussion to begin.

Diversity IS about putting out the best possible product for your community, your "white-guy-who-knows-the-black-community" example not withstanding.

9. Simon_Cowbell

What is the audience of a newspaper that is minority and can read the English paper.

10 percent?

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

He're a thought. We keep hearing about how newspaper's are dying. Then we hear about how there isn't much diversity in the newsroom.
    Hmmm. Maybe there's a correlation?
    Edit: Yep, it's a huge leap. but think about it.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Ask Miss Teen South Carolina.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Papers started dying when they actively started serving dozens of masters, about 15 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted