1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Passion of the Superman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Supposedly? George shoulda just used Charlie Chan and Stepin Fetchit in those scenes.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736918124/qid=1151433237/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8639750-3593616?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

bam.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

SPOILERS in the subject line would be nice.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We still haven't answered the question of whether Jesus Christ can hit a curveball. ;D

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I always found it interesting that Superman's creators had to find a way to keep him from fighting in World War II because it could have hurt the troop's morale. So they had Superman failing the eye exam for the Army because his X-Ray vision had him reading the eye chart two rooms away.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

By the way, how come no uproar about all the Greek symbology in the movie? Again, I won't spoil the movie, but the references and images from Greek lore are pretty blatant and as common as any Christ imagery.

As a believer in Zeus, Apollo and the rest of the Greek gods I'm offended the director would so callously try to compare Superman to my glorious deities!

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Many of the elements of the Christ story are timeless elements of heroic myth that transcend any specific culture.
    Christ returning from the dead. Odysseus returning from Hades. Etc.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Got a thing for guns there, pern?

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

If you've seen the movie and read the plethora of articles about the whole Superman/Christ thing, it really seems like Bryan Singer tried to get those points across in the movie.

SPOILER

Toward the end, after he saves humanity by hurling the giant rock into space, he falls back to earth with his body in the same position as if it were nailed to the cross. That was pretty much the tip of the iceberg for me. There were references throughout the whole movie.

I'm all for the idea that you see what you want to, but it was kind of hard to miss all of the Jesus references. I'm not a god fearing man myself, but thought it was funny how much the point was brought across.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I went with Mr. and Mrs. OHB Sr. last night to see the movie and was amazed at the sheer amount of Christ references (and yes, his falling to earth was very apparent and reminded of Salvador Dali's painting of Christ more than anything else). My parents, meanwhile, who grew up reading Superman comics and watching the old movies said they didn't catch any of that and admitted they had never noticed the Superman/Christ parallels.

As for other references, I thought this one was particularly interesting ...

SPOILERS

Unless I missed something somewhere along the way, Superman/Clark Kent never married Lois Lane and, again unless I missed something, never had a child. According to Biblical tales, Christ never hooked up with Mary Magdalene or had a child.

How interesting is it then that, while The Da Vinci Code revives the growing theory that Christ and Magdalene were married and had several children, this new Superman movie depicts Supes and Lane as the parents of a son? Does anyone see this as some sort of religious or political commentary, or as an odd coincidence? Just curious to read some other opinions.

Draft saved Draft deleted