1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Party Of Personal Responsibility

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Bob Ney blames the booze.
    http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001533.php

An excuse that won't work for you on a backroad late on Saturday night.
    "I was so drunk I took all those bribes!"
    Pitiful.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I dunno, FB. Look at those London poker games. If I were in the wrapper and bribers kept telling me my pairs of deuces were really a full house, I might fall for it.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Switches political parties, but this thread reminds me of one of Letterman's best-ever lists, "Top 10 Marion Barry Excuses."

4. Drug dealers? I thought they were prostitutes!

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A criminal's a criminal, regardless of party affil ... oh, now I understand.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

From your link:
    "I have gone through a great deal of soul searching recently, and I have come to recognize that a dependence on alcohol has been a problem for me. I am not making any excuses, and I take full responsibility for my actions."

From just reading it, it sounds like a pretty sincere statement. But if you have to play politics with everything ...

If only he had simply killed a woman by driving her to the bottom of a creek and leaving her there he could be a hero of the Democratic Party.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Tony...You forgot to invoke BILL CLINTON!

I have gone through a great deal of soul searching recently, and I have come to recognize that a dependence on alcohol has been a problem for me. I am not making any excuses, and I take full responsibility for my actions. Over the years, I have worked to help others, but now I am the one that needs help. I am seeking professional help for this problem I am hopeful that with counseling, time and the support of my family and friends, I will be able to deal with my dependency.

Anyway, I had to laugh at his statement. It's all a blur, officer! I don't have any memory of doing those things! I think someone slipped me the date-rape drug! I was kidnapped and taken to Vegas by an Hispanic couple! I would never do anything like that when I'm sober! Did I tell you I had a miserable childhood?

7. He certainly worked to help himself.

8. And if he had simply lied to take our country into a seemingly never-ending war in which thousands have died, he could be a hero to the few crazies who still support our current Commander in Chief.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He's apologizing for being a drunk, but not for being a fraud?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Here's another ditty. Ground for war in Iran being laid...

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/columnists/warren_p_strobel/15529884.htm?source=rss&channel=krwashington_warren_p_strobel

or Reader's Digest version:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/009816.php

Draft saved Draft deleted