1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Paper" alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On Encore Drama right now. Hadn't seen it before last night, when it came on at 3 a.m. Just happened to be up, and watched the whole thing. Great, great movie. They nailed the little bits and pieces of activity around the newsroom.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Heard the sequel is in the works.

"The fanboi web site."

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Phil: Aw, Jesus, Bernie. Come on with the smoke. You know the doctor found nicotine in my urine again.
    Bernie: Then keep your dick out of my ashtray.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's up his ass?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The cranky guy who was very proprietary about his chair had me rolling. I've never worked at a paper that didn't have a guy like that, always bitching about how he needed it set "just so."

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Watched it again this afternoon, and one thing stood out that really bothered me. And a spoiler alert if someone hasn't seen the movie.
    When Alicia and Henry brawl in the pressroom, the pressman says "about 90,000" papers have already been run. After the press is restarted following their fight, at least a couple of hours have to pass before Alicia changes the cover. They have enough time to get out of the building and go to the bar for a drink or two, and to take an ambulance ride to the hospital. Gotta be at least an hour to 90 minutes, right?
    So what happened to all of the papers with the "Gotcha" headline? How many of them hit the street? Did they redo the whole run? Assuming The Sun's circulation is a few hundred thousand, the press run had to be almost over by the time she called to change it, right?
    Did they just change it for the next edition? This is bugging me.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bagel.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks for bailing us out, there, JD.

Now, nobody post any more shit until I've had three cokes, OK?

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Could we possibly get another dick drawing?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This looks like the fifth at Shinnecothe. And I would play over the water, by the way.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Watch it, Zeke, with the smoke. You know, the doctor found nicotine in my urine again.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Really? Well guess fucking what? I don't really fucking care. You wanna know fucking why? Because I don't fucking live in the fucking world! I live in fucking New York City! So go fuck yourself!

(And, BTW, let me just say how great it is to find people who dig that flick as much as I do. I've tried to share it with friends, my family and even one girlfriend and none of them got it. I even pointed to the clock scenes -- when time just disappears as they're working on something intense -- by way of explanation of how it sometimes gets, and they all just looked at me with blank stares.)

Draft saved Draft deleted