1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oscars will be the lowest rated ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I might be interested if there was any movie I'd heard of before up.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sorry -- Beerfest, Saw IV, Norbit, and Chuck & Larry didn't get nominated.

3. well done, TSP

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the Oscars will do very well because there have been great movies in the past year and because the writers' strike knocked out the Golden Globes and makes this the first chance this year for people to critique celebrity evening gowns.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Forget the films, I'm going to watch the Oscars simply for Jon Stewart.

"For those of you keeping score at home, Martin Scorsese, zero; Three 6 Mafia, one."

"You know what? I think it just got a little easier out here for a pimp."

"How come they're the most excited people out there tonight? That's how you accept an Oscar!"

"From the man who also gave us 'Schindler's List' and 'Munich.' I think I speak for all Jews when I say, 'I can't wait to see what happens to us next!' Trilogy!"

"I imagine the difficulty of making Russell Crowe look like he got into a fight. I'm going to be pummeled later this evening, aren't I?"

6. Interesting take, simon. I always thought it as to Clooney's credit that he takes modest, unspectacular roles and does well with them. I thought it was interestingly non-star of him. Maybe you're right and he's overdone it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with the Writer's Strike theory. You get some folks up there on stage at the GGs, drunk, they say something stupid or inflamatory, it becomes a topic on Leno, Letterman et. al., boom, people suddenly care, wondering if a presumed winner will outdo themselves on the big night or wear a scandalous dress. The Oscars have never been about the movies, they've been about watching good-looking, wealthy people make total asses out of themselves when they don't have a writer giving them something eloquent to say.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

His snappy, talking-over-each-other thing he kept doing with Pitt in the Ocean's films is a trademark. He's settled into a routine, no doubt. But it hasn't seemed to hurt him in the marketplace, whatsoever.

Leatherheads will suck beyond comprehension, but that's another story for another day.

9. Agreed on Leatherheads. Saw the trailer a couple weeks ago and thought exactly what you typed.

10. I give him huge props for playing against type in O, Brother.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

(Oscar shakes fist) Aristophanes!!

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I really like Clooney.... love the way he got the fuck out of Straithairn's way in GLAGN... Just still waiting for a film that defines him.... that gets something resembling real emotion out of him.

Draft saved Draft deleted