1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The organic food thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the person didn't know, you can't get mad at them... If they knew and did it anyway, that's not cool...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We got a good laugh out of it. Essentially, my mother is completely oblivious to even basic nutrition. I can remember being a kid and my dad getting frustrated about it. It might seem obvious that you might not want to take the militant granola eater's son to Wendy's, but not to her. You have to be absolutely explicit. Like, if you tell her, "No McDonald's, no Wendy's, no Burger King, no White Castle, no Arby's," you can bet she'll be pulling through the first Taco Bell drive-through she sees.

For a while, she had this odd fixation with wanting to give my son Cheetos. "No Cheetos, mom." A day later, she'd be asking if some off brand Cheetos that she spotted at the store were OK.

3. Mizzougrad96

I can see it now...

"Well, technically, Superdawg isn't fast food!"

My mother-in-law has some weird obsession with feeding her grandkids french fries... We just let it go, but my sister-in-law just freaks out about it...

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Well, Dick, if you're willing to take these PITA steps, it's very obvious you love your wife, so you've got that going for you, which is nice.

Personally, I lean heavily toward placebo. But all it's harming is your checkbook.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When those kids go to college, they'll mainline fast food.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's better to confront the wife's unreasonable standards then lie and sneak around.

Happiness is overrated if it's the product of extreme patronizing. Over time, it just pisses the patron off and leads to sneakiness. It happens quite often in church, actually, where some leader is a total prig, nobody wants to challenge out of fear of being unpleasant, and so everybody just sneaks around that person, for years. Boy, is it exhausting to watch.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mama ain't happy, nobody happy. - Very true southern logic.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think it's placebo effect. The organic believers think it tastes better because that's what they want to believe.

Penn and Teller did a little taste test in this Bullshit episode (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEB6w4nHG1c) where organic devotees not only couldn't tell the difference in blind taste tests, but actually preferred the non-organic sample by a wide margin.

BTW, that episode also has fun debunking some of the other organic arguments about nutrients/hormones/pesticides, etc.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I will only use organic olives in my bloody marys.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is vodka organic?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Real sugar tastes much, much better than corn syrup, though.

12. Mizzougrad96

I subscribe to the "Happy wife, happy life..." theory... Is my friend hurting anyone by getting Taco Bell a couple times a week without his wife knowing about it? No... He's not even lying to her... What she doesn't know won't hurt her...

People are raised a certain way or they develop beliefs over the years that you're never going to change. Do you want to fight with your spouse over something that trivial? I sure as hell don't...

Happiness is never overrated. My parents bickered over everything when I was a kid. It was fucking ridiculous. I hate couples who fight all the time over trivial crap.

Most of us do things that our spouses don't understand and won't ever understand. Some of that is simple, this is the way I was raised and this is the way you were raised... Some of it is simple as just being a different gender. We don't have to agree on everything, and if keeping the peace involves not telling her everything that you have for lunch, who cares?

Draft saved Draft deleted