1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The organic food thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If this is your biggest complaint about your spouse, you're doing pretty well...

Is there any logic behind the way she feels on the subject? Did she have a loved one who died of cancer?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep. Sibling.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

My reasons for buying organic when I do are based in reducing the pesticides and crap we are putting into the dirt and our bodies, not because I think they are inherently more nutritional.

I buy organic, cage-free eggs because I like to think they came from chickens that weren't subjected to the conditions of factory egg production.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, fuck... That would do it...

Yeah, based on that, I would happily buy organic everything for her and not say another word about it...

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also, this.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. For sure. At this point, I'm just curious myself about whether it is indeed worthwhile, or merely a placebo thing. Almost more journalistically than anything to do with the wallet.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm surprised she drinks milk at all, given her level of vigilance.

Future studies may show people who have organic diets lead healthier lives, but I'd argue that they, like your wife, were predisposed to leading a healthier life and buy the marketing of organic products as aiding in that process.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We try to eat organic and locally-farmed as much as possible. We're not sticklers about it, except when it comes to the milk our 4-year-old drinks. She has gotten nothing but organic milk since she was weaned.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Food -- and the food chain it produces -- is only as good as the soil it was grown in. And there is a lot of empirical research that demonstrates that soils rich in organic matter grow fruit and vegetables that have more nutrients.

But as Inky pointed out, "organic" in and of itself is not the end all for choosing the best food. Something that spends a few days riding from Mexico or across country in a truck is going to lose its nutritional quality. Local is just as important.

Also, organic might be a good thing when it comes to fresh food, but if you are buying processed organic foods, you are not doing yourself a service.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

One of the grocery store chains in our city announced that they would only be selling eggs from free range chickens.

We are in the same boat in that I do not think there is higher nutritional value but I do wonder about hormones, anti-biotics and pesticides. If we can keep it out of the kid's systems all the better.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted