1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

At 3 shots back he was officially "lurking." Now, of course, not so much.

Tomorrow's weather could make things veddy interesting, though. The field is teeing off on 1 and 10 and going in threesomes to get it over with early. That's how bad they think it's going to be, which for the Open is saying something.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bad weather? That means Tom Watson is right in the hunt!

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The thing I like about the British/Scottish/Irish writers is that they're not so easily swayed by the flavor of the month. One of them takes Bubba to task (and rightly so)"

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/bubba-watson-2014-british-open

Bubba not quite the prince of a young man that everyone makes him out to be. He's no Vijay but he's also light years away from Phil or Adam Scott in the class department. He just doesn't show it when the TV cameras are around.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's fascinating how quickly Bubba mentally checks out of a tournament when it's not to his liking. He is a complete ass, and I'm not sure he'll be able to spin the "aw-shucks, I'm just a regular guy" thing for much longer. I walked with him for six or seven holes at Pinehurst and you could just tell he didn't want to be there. He was pissed the course just didn't "fit his eye." I'm not sure why he should even bother playing in the Open Championship anymore. Just save yourself the flight, go play the Canadian Open or get ready for the PGA. #PrayForTedScott

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Rory eagles 2 of the last 3 to get to -16, including a nuked 5-iron from 237 to 12 feet on 18.

Unless Fowler shoots 64 tomorrow, this thing is way over.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Leads by 6. The player who shall not be named is 19 back and toast.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's already way over. Giving Rory four reachable Par 5 is almost unfair to the rest of the field. He's hitting it so pure right now. Let's say Rickey shoots a ridiculous 64. For that to happen, the weather would have to be pristine. If the weather is pristine, can you imagine Rory shooting higher than 70? That would get him in a playoff. There's no cabins to hit on this course.

The over/under for majors with him is probably 11.5. We're watching one of the all-time greats just begin to figure shit out.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was so nice to watch two hours of golf today and not hear "that guy's" name.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You just know that everyone at ESPN had minichubs going when Tiger started birdie birdie, then got to -1 overall......"Oooo boys.....this is it........he's gonna play the front in 29, and get right back in it."

Wrong.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Has there been a dominant pitcher, great fastball, great control multiple 20 win seasons, multiple Cy Youngs who lost 5 miles an hour, the pitches flattened out and just became another good but unimpressive pitcher. Still capable of a 12 strikeout shutout once in awhile but more often gives up 4 runs in 6 innings. That's Woods

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/after-attending-every-british-open-for-45-years-dan-jenkins-deserves-some-barbecue/2014/07/18/cc481d64-0e93-11e4-8341-b8072b1e7348_story.html

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/golf/theopen14/story/_/id/11235903/2014-open-championship-dad-bet-rory-mcilroy-win-title-26

Draft saved Draft deleted