1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Only Winner Tonight -- Hammerin Hank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

You couldn't tell, but Hank had his fingers crossed - on both his hands - behind his back as they taped that speech.

The thing that I loved about that was that Bud designated Frank Robinson to be there.

I was around him when Bonds hit 600, and he was beyond not pleased. Not only did he hate anyone passing his 586, but he also thinks Bonds cheated. Don't even talk to him about Sosa. Got to the point where everywhere the team went, somebody was asking about 600, and he was curtly "no commenting" by the end.

What it says about Frank is what I know to be true: Bud's paying him a big "advisor" salary, so he'll suck it up and do WHATEVER he's told, no matter how it goes against what he personally believes. It's also why he'll go attend all-star game festivities and parade around and sign stuff, even though he absolutely hates that stuff. $$$$$$$

Frank: Bud's lackey. There's just something not right about that, somehow.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. And I do think he will be there, if for no other reason than to get the extra attention for himself. When a record like this is broken, it should be an opportunity to honor the man who was passed as well as the one who breaks it.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It was classy and it was a hearty "fuck-you" to his critics who thought he should be obligated to be there when it happened.

But, in the midst of this, I have this weird feeling that he was "asked" to do it, and he did it. When I define "asked", I don't think he was forced, but he was asked to do it. There was an unconfirmed rumor that the speech was taped last month.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The only misty moment was me hearing Hank's wish that the record serves as inspiration for people to seek their own dreams. And then seeing him smile, wow. Also thought the Nationals pitcher was a classy guy - I'll be rooting for him from now on.

And then there is Barry, the emotional black hole. After watching the home run I had the feeling you get when you "lose" a game to a little kid to make him feel better. It's nice seeing him happy, but it would mean be so much more if the competition was legit.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mike Bacsik is the perfect pitcher to serve up that home run.
    He's a journeyman, a guy who knows he's lucky to be in the bigs and the only way he'll get famous is with something like this.
    He's bright, he's something of a baseball history nut. He'll capitalize on this in a big way, maybe make more money from it than he does playing ball.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Wow. That's a well-presented case, but...I'll never be able to conceive of Frank Robinson as anyone's lackey.

That's my perception, not an argument. My argument would be, if I accept your statement prior to the last sentence, that one's job is not one's self. But then, I wouldn't take a job as a cocaine mule, and I'm not qualified to draw the line.

I see Frank Robinson, and I don't see a lackey.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You forgot about Uncle Willie - dressed as head groundskeeper for the big moment. Will someone take the guy to Lens Crafters and get him a decent pair of glasses.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I don't see a lackey, either. Frank and Hank were pining MLB back in the day to give blacks an opportunity to manage the team or have a role in the front office. Frank was an advisor before managing the Expos/Nats, and is back in an advisoral role right now.

Frank has class and he's a very diginfied guy. I'll bet you he put his hands in his pockets (a la Bud) when Bonds KO'd the pitch last night.

Moddy, I echo your sentiments on that kid. Someone had to throw and challenge #25. It was better that it was him and not Hananaran on Thursday. He's from Waukee, a Des Moines 'burb. Good kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted