1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Only Winner Tonight -- Hammerin Hank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 8, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

How dare Hank Aaron ruin our collective indignation! :eek:

2. Hank Aaron's always been classy, and the things he has done for baseball have been nothing short of revolutionary.

He's still the King in my book.

3. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Absolutely. Never underestimate fatigue and age in matters.

4. Those columns needed a straw Aaron as a vehicle for high moral dudgeon.
    Jeebus, am I glad this is over. Except, of course, that it's not.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was the point Tom Verducci made in his SI story about Aaron a few weeks ago. I have no idea if Aaron is bitter or not (the way I do have an idea about Willie Mays being prickly and mean--I always think of the two of them hand in hand, because they were the greatest players from the same era). But the story painted the home run chase as having been bittersweet for Aaron and something that still stirs up some painful memories. And he just doesn't want to relive it. The story also pointed out details about Aaron's attitudes toward cheating, which he brought up in his autobiography. His reasons might be complex. It could be have been a privacy thing. It could have been that he doesn't respect the way Bonds has gone about things. Either one of those things are Aaron's right. Calling him "bitter" without him ever having done anything overtly bitter that I have seen has just has seemed unfair to me. Barry Bonds is a bitter man. I can point to specific acts of bitterness. But Aaron? If anything, the guy has always sort of projected integrity, a quiet discipline and enough humility to not have to call attention to himself (he wasn't a hot dog).

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just heard Hank's message again and suddenly the room has gotten dusty. Just beautfully written and delivered - elegant is the only word to discribe it.

For anyone who was lucky to watch Aaron break the record - his words bring you right back to that moment- clearly a much grander, more meaningful moment than what we watched last night.

BTW - Not to be forgotten - Al Downing - anyone who has ever met him knows what a classy guy he is.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting question here...how does Bonds hand off the torch when ARod or someone else passes him? Does he display his first-ever measure of class then?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Aaron the ONLY winner? Not by a longshot. Deskers up and down the east coast would disagree.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Hank's stock went up 1,000 percent with this message.
    And it was already in Google territory.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't matter.

Even if he somehow passed the torch with class, there would be a boatload of posts like: "What a phony SOB! Just using this in a pathetic attempt to try to rehabilitate his reputation! Too late, Barroid!"

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I'm wondering if A-Rod being in striking distance might delay Bonds' retirement for a year or two.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Barry certainly has an opportunity, in his remaining playing days or in retirement, to soften his image. More to the point, though, would B*rry actually show up for the record-setting blast or do it video ala' Hammerin' Hank?

Draft saved Draft deleted