1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Only Winner Tonight -- Hammerin Hank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hank Aaron hit one out of the park tonight with his message. Very classy and well done.

Now makes perfect sense that he did not want to cast himself in spotlight and take away from Barry's moment.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree it was a classy move by Hank, Boomer.

Maybe Bonds can follow the example and start exhibiting some of his own.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Top-drawer move by Aaron. Bonds looked dumbfounded, then delighted. Sure surprised me.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was just relieved it wasn't the Shrub when the Shrill yelled for everyone to watch the big screen for a special video message.

Then I was glad to see Mr. Aaron deliver a classy speech.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is anyone surprised? Hank's a classy guy.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Honestly, I was somewhat because he came off as a bitter old man in the build-up to this. I didn't sense any of that bitterness in that speech tonight. All class.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know that as soon as the cameras went off, Aaron said, "Kiss my black ass, pole-smoker" under his breath.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Aaron's come off as a bitter old man more than a few times, but I agree what he did tonight was classy.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

A part of me wishes he would have kept being that "bitter old man" y'all are calling him.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I heard Terence Moore made an interesting point recently -- it's not that Aaron holds any animosity or bitterness toward Bonds, toward steroids, or toward the record. It's just ... he went through this 33 years ago. He doesn't want to go through it again.

Doesn't want to answer questions, doesn't want to fly around the country, doesn't want to go to any games ... he's tired, and he's old. He wants the spotlight on Barry, and he wants to be left Aaron alone. And then, he was uber-classy in congratulating him when he finally broke it.

Good enough for me.

11. I agree Buck. I think people read way too much into Aaron not being there.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Does kind of poke a hole in all those "Aaron's silence speaks volumes" columns, though, doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted