1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ongoing slide into the black hole

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Something like this is one of the things I've thought for a long time that newspapers should do. And as I've said previously on another thread, papers all need to do it at once, in a one-time collective show of unity, teamwork and force that will, hopefully, make people quit -- cold turkey -- with their expectation that they'll be able to find what they're looking for someplace else if the paper they're looking at happens to be charging.

People don't really expect to get something for free. They know it just doesn't happen...except in newspapers, of course.

But they're just taking/accepting it because...well, because newspapers are allowing it.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They got it back-asswards from the start, turning the paper into a promotional vehicle for the Web site instead of the other way around. And now they're accelerating that by having us all work "for the Web site" rather than "the paper." We give freeloading surfers more stuff in timelier fashion, for no money, than we give subscribers in print.

Hard to turn back the toothpaste or whatever, but even breaking news should have some limitations on the Web site, to prompt readership of the analysis, commentary and sidebar coverage in the morning paper.

Then we have to accept that there are some people who never will opt for that and will settle for three paragraphs as their social, political and cultural depth.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, you might be right about that last point, Joe. I was going to also say that I think I'd put up less than three inches -- maybe two inches, or the first two paragraphs, or something, so that they can't just settle for that if they really want the story.

But regardless, the gist of this is so obvious, and so necessary -- whether we do anything else, or not -- that I just can't understand why the newspapers of this country can't, and don't, get this, and can't collect themselves and get this done, together, as it needs to be done.

This is something the APSE, SPJ and every other regional and national newspaper organization should be pushing, planning and helping to organize, as soon as possible.

4. fremont

fremont Member

I'd give them two grafs. Buy the paper or buy an online subscription if you really want to read.

I came into the business just as papers started moving to the Web, and from the start I was bewildered as to how we were going to continue selling papers when we post it online before it hits the streets.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

[blue]But that would mean the beancounters would have to accept lower profit margins, at least initially. Keeping the short-term profit margins up looks better to the beancounters and the company's investors (or, if its traded publically, shareholders). And the longer-term consequences of having an inferior product....well, that's a problem for another day.[/blue]

6. fremont

fremont Member

It's all about this quarter. To hell with the future, because there is none.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

It truly amazes me that we can figure this out on here and the people being paid the "big money" are still aloof to this! And THAT my friends is why the newspaper industry is dying. Not because people don't want the information!

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

More people are reading our stuff than ever, and we're going out of business.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Never thought of it that way. How depressing.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Without using the "quote" function, I wanted to address the whole "all papers should turn to charging for internet content together, at once."

Shouldn't this be easy? I mean, there are hundreds of papers in each chain, and there are a few chains that own the majority of newspapers.

If one, mine for example, just said "okay, all content is pay per view across the chain" if would affect dailies, two- and three-times weeklies, weeklies, magazines, et. all.

I can't see readers of weeklies being able to find news on "their team" or "their town" on google, yahoo!, msn, etc.

Sometimes the only place to get news on Podunk council happenings is from the Podunk News.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think MANY of us have thought about that attrition. Of course the Baby Boomers are just starting to hit retirement, plenty-of-time-to-read-newspapers age.

When the Baby Boomers are gone.... don't want to think of that.

12. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

well put

now excuse me while i apply for a job at Kohl's

Draft saved Draft deleted