1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The one person for you. Reality or farce?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, May 30, 2008.

1. Oh, and I know a lot of people meet successfully on the Internet, but I think that way, way too many shy people use it as a shield for actually having to go out and meet people. Buck up and, again, talk to people. The more you meet, the better the odds.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

For me, being a full-time single parent, there are much fewer opportunities for me to just get out and meet people. But I try to take advantages of the few occasions which present themselves.

That being said, for me I've met both my wives and my current girlfriend through pure happenstance. Ruthie literally was an unknown who knocked on my door. Can't get more random than that.

3. Oh, I don't mean go out boozing every night or to the theater or symphony. But look your waitress in the eye. Look the girl who sells you jeans at The Gap in the eye. The new secretary at work. Show an interest in everybody you meet. That's what I really mean.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy moley Moddy, I'll bet Hallmark is beating down your door to use that in a card. :D

As for "the one", I've honestly never really thought much about it, I accept it as a matter of course. I can't imagine being without her, even though we disagree, have different interests, etc. But we have a lot more that keeps us together.

For her part, she's said repeatedly she knew I was "the one" the first time she saw me. It should be noted she was drunk at the time ... really ... she was.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I thought I met "the one" 14 months ago.

It was pure. Fucking. Bliss. Two puzzle pieces that fit together. Then out of the blue, she broke it off. Hid behind work as an excuse.

We're still friends. Still hang out some. I've told her that I want us to get to know each other again, hang out with the intention of seeing where it goes. It was met with an "ummm, okay...sure," but nothing's moved since then.

In the interim, "Californiacation" is pretty much a documentary for me. Mostly.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You can be content with any number of people...but at the end of the day, when you're with The One, you know without a doubt you are exactly the person you always wanted to be.

I don't think you can go looking for it, but anyone who has found it just knows.

Can't find the old post about finding love, but the key message was, and will always be..... love finds you.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You nailed your wife's new husband's underage daughter? :D

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I consider myself lucky in that I have had more than one "one".

The woman I am married to was the third "one" over the span of about 15 years (did not get married until late 30s)

That being said she is the only one I could actually imagine being married to for a variety of reasons.

I am not sure it always hits like a thunderbolt out of the sky, in each case there was a gradual build and then one day realizing "Holy Crap I can't imagine my life without this person".

I will echo what others have said, you have to be out there or online and meeting people to have some success.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In other words, you gotta be out there and loving it. Sounds like a good sitcom line.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you just have to be out there and open-minded.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

So far I've only had one "the one" and she's now married to a dentist in Atlanta.

We'd probably be married now if we hadn't started dating about a month after we got to Ole Miss. We were crazy about each other but neither of us wanted to get serious with the first person we met in college.

Obviously I regret it more now than she does.

12. Why is that "obvious"?

A dentist is no better than you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted