1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Olympics may be harmful to your health

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why not? It isn't like they have free enterprise over there. They have already raised rates on the flights going in. Now all they have to do is make it inconvenient to do so.

You forgot about customs agents. I can easily see them pulling all of their English sheets and leaving only the Chinese out. Then have about one agent on duty for non-citizens.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't see them doing that. They'd get killed in the international community, and I thought the point of them getting the Olympics was to show what a great country China was.

Turn it into an adminisitrative nightmare, and everyone's worst suspicions will be confirmed, and no-one will want to hold a major sporting event there ever again.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, for one, the IOC mandates streamlined check-in procedures for the NOC delegations. So they won't be fucking with people at Customs.

Second, China won't risk the PR hit if they start jacking with flight schedules during the Olympics.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Marathon world record holder Haile Gebrselassie won't be attending citing pollution, health concerns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/sports/othersports/11olympics.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

5. markvid

markvid Guest

What happened to the artificial rain they were gonna do? Anyone remember that?

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Pacman Jones wasn't available.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Athletes are creatures of habit. They won't take flights the day of. Especially not runners and swimmers.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I am so not looking forward to August 3. August 25, on the other hand...

9. T2

T2 Member

As of a couple weeks ago, the planning continues. I doubt the attempt will work, but at least the Chinese are trying.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iw7yFFCmiprXJCl3OIT6FaUdBQJg

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Now Haile's starting to waffle a little bit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7292427.stm

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I hope he changes his mind. I would love to see one of the all-time greats in person.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just saw an Outside the Lines segment where they talk about a special mask U.S. athletes will be wearing in Beijing. The USOC, won't say what they are made out of, apparently its like double secret probation. Anyway, they said the USOC is advising athletes to wear them whenever they are outside in China. Crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted