1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman cutting 150 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxramblings07, Sep 3, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Ouch. That's too bad. Some good folks there. The paper has made some pretty big strides in the past decade.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I cringe at what the sycophantic fanbois supporters of Jeff Gundy will post on that site.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Mike Gundy? He is a man, you know.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

God, I'm an idiot.

Very sorry. Long day.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The really bad thing about this is that The Oklahoman seemed to be ahead of the pack in terms of ideas for making money on the Web. They had people paying for premium info on the Bedlam Nation site and had enough advertising money coming in on it to hire a staffer. Last I heard they landed a big advertising deal with a car dealership to launch a new version of the site.

Guess none of that really made a difference.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Mike Gundy isn't just a man; he's 40. Remember that.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

You mean Gundy isn't 41 yet?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

When will the bleeding stop? All of these cuts at papers across the country makes me feel extremely uneasy.

10. Yes, he is 41. Beside the point.

11. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

The worst part of this is that The Oklahoman is one of the few true "state papers" anymore. And they're not part of a chain. If they're making cuts, well, there is really no reason to have even the remotest hope for the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted