1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ohio UNIVERSITY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Jan 7, 2007.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I know I'm the only one watching -- actually listening, it's on as background noise -- to the GMAC bowl.
    But is there a reason every time they refer to Southern Miss' opponent, it's as "The Ohio University" or "Ohio University"?
    Do they actually think somebody is going to accidentally be looking for the BCS title game a day early and be confused by a singular Ohio reference, so they have to throw in University to differentiate from State?

It's almost as grating as the "My Country" commercials.
    Or the really creepy arthritis commercial where the guy talks about talking trash on the basketball court to his son and then ending it with, "he's a sore loser, just like his mom."

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Considering how often people say, "Oh you're a Buckeye," after I say I went to Ohio University, I have no issues with them differentiating between the two.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

It's more grammatically correct than all that "THE Ohio State University." Are there more than one? No one says "THE Florida State" etc., etc., that I've ever heard.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Ohio University got beat down tonight. But the student newspaper coverage should trump most bowl schools.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Ditto to what sportschick said. We're the Bobcats, even after we lose by 21.

Don't know who The Post sent down there, or if they sent anybody (when I was still there a few years ago, the budget had become very small) ... I can only hope they cover it like, well, a bowl game for a team that hadn't been to one in 38 years.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No lie, I saw this on TV and thought for some ridiculously bizarre reason that ESPN2 was showing a replay of a bowl game played three weeks ago. Seriously, why the fuck would you play a bowl game this meaningless this late in the year?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So ESPN whatever could fill a programming slot.

That's what bowl season is really all about ... program slot filler.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dude, it included a MAC team, we were lucky it wasn't on a Tuesday in March.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Athletic department wants it to be just Ohio, GT was OHIO UNIVERSITY all night.

We have some alums with serious inferiority complexes like you wouldn't believe (well, think Whitlock telling us to read his pimp hand column) and they get pissy when they hear Ohio U (which used to be what we were called).

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

It's funny because it's true. [/bitterMACalum]

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There's at least one school that wants the word "The" as part of its name and its right here in NJ. College of New Jersey (the former Trenton State College), insists on being called The College of New Jersey (or TCNJ for short). However my paper is the only one that follows the style they want and calls them TCNJ (or capitalizes the "T" in The). Every other paper just calls them CNJ. Since I'm an alumnus from the days when it was Trenton State College, in conversation I still call it TSC - and since half the people in my department also went there when it was TSC and the other half have been at the paper since before the name change 6-7 years ago, they all know what I'm talking about.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

The whole "Ohio U." or "Ohio University" thing instead of just "Ohio" isn't nearly as obnoxious as announcers calling it the "MAC Conference."

Do the Patriots, Colts, Chargers and Ravens play in the "AFC Conference"? Do the Indians play in the "AL League"?

Draft saved Draft deleted