1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Tim Raines Hall of Fame Support Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's be fair, Brock and Henderson each had 3,000 hits. I don't think Raines is quite at that level, but he's not far behind and definitely should be in.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tim Raines is a .333 hitter with 3,400 career hits if only we factor in the absolute mathematical reality that a walk is worth .6 of a hit. And if the absolute mathematical reality is that a walk is .7 of a hit? Oh my goodness.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Posnanski, but it's people who think that way and would actually take the time to write an idiotic column like that that was one of the reasons I stopped liking baseball.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why are you allowed to make posts like this, but when others do, you have a baby fit about it?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is a direct comparison to the previous thead in which you told us what Olerud's true numbers should be. I assumed that if it was such a valuable tool that you defended it for six pages on the Olerud thread, you'd apply the same statistical tool here.

Also, there is precisely one person on this board with whom I have this personal conflict. It's you. What's your number?

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

One thing to remember on Brock because he does appear to be a poor choice because he hardly walked and was not a great fielder. He set the all-time stolen base record, which had been held for about 90 years by Billy Hamilton. That is the kind of thing that voters take note of.

That being said Raines should be in the Hall, but it is not a travesty that he is not in already.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In the era of the stolen base, Rickey Henderson and Tim Raines were the defining base stealers that didn't suck at most everything else (I'm looking at you, Omar Moreno and Vince Coleman).

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Raines should be in easy. He was better than Brock.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Any other half-ass possibility you care to start a HOF thread on? Jumpin Jeebus...

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Raines always has had my vote. Clearly not enough, and I don't get my peers in this case at all.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I do think most of the people caught into the 1985 Pittsburgh Drug Trials have been seen in a negative light, even 25 years later.

Still wish there was a 30 for 30 on this. It is quite a story.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? Weren't Molitor & Hernandez involved? They don't seem to have payed a PR price.

Draft saved Draft deleted