1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Thread of Opening Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 1, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Everyone is tied for first.

Thank Christ for baseball season.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Carpenter and Glavine tonight. Nice to see Glavine get an opening day start. I always think that means more to the older guys. Even as Santana became the most dominant pitcher in baseball, Gardenhire would give Brad Radke the ball for the opener. A nice nod to a guy who pitched through some awful, awful seasons.

Radke will throw out the first pitch Monday night at the Dome, and then it will be Santana and Bedard, a great matchup of power lefties.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The Cubs, until the Redbirds take the field tonight, are in 1st place in the NL Central. Party hard right now fellow Cubbies. It'll end at 8:05 pm EDT tonight. ;)

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shit, the Cubs could open up with a half-game lead tomorrow.

Thus is the beauty of opening day!

BTW, anyone know what happened to the tradition of the Reds always having the first opener? As I kid, I recall watching Cincinnati on almost every opening day. It is possible I'm crazy.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

the Reds did indeed used to throw the first pitch of the season. Their status as the first team to begin play was killed by the almighty dollar (i.e. the sunday night opener).

It's kind of a bummer to see Brad Radke throwing out a ceremonial first pitch. Makes me feel old when guys I didn't grow up watching are retiring.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fear not, for you are still young, and bitter.

The labrum ended Radke's career, more than anything. He didn't want to have to deal with the rehab at his age.

I will be watching Kubel very closely, and mocking you if and when he does well. ;)

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The real question is how soft is Joe Mauer going to be this year in that weak AL Central? [/spnited]

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Joe Mauer is my new favorite AL player, New season, new approach.

As for whatever happened to the traditional Reds opener, E$PN ... emphasis on the $$$$$$$$$$$, happened.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I hear he eats chicken before every game.

BTW, tomorrow night's opener in the Homer Dome should be a great game. If the Nats don't jump all over the D-Train tomorrow at RFK, they may not win a game before the weekend. It'll be a great day in DC for a game though. Sunny and 77. Too bad RFK is such a dump of a stadium.

10. boots

boots New Member

I'm torn between going to Philadelphia or going to Washington for opening day. Washington may win out by default. I'm tired of going to Yankee opening day ceremonies.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

radke's "retired" but he would've taken the year off to recover after the surgery so it's not out of the question for him to be pitching somewhere in 2008.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fuck you, WWL for killing a good thing. You could be pimping the Women's Final Four tonight, but you couldn't help yourself but to have the "unofficial start" of the season tonight.

Thank god that college baseball is on right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted