1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office 10/18

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Oct 18, 2007.

1. XXXX

XXXX Member

I thought this week's was more sad than anything else. I loved last weeks and the week before, but this one just seemed sad to me. Michael's comment about Toby during the whole whoever/whomever discussion was priceless.

"Whomever's name is Toby can take a envelope opener and shove it through their skull."

Phyllis: "Whomever is used as an object"
    Kelly: "Ryan used me as an object."

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

It was interesting to see Alan Wasserman taking time off from his job running HBO to moonlight as a call-center supervisor. Hope he didn't steal any of Michael's shrimp...

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

What kind of man says exactly what he's thinking? What game is that?

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I taped the episode, but the end was cut off. I'm up in the air about what I saw. Some funny parts, but also a lot of sad ones. I really like the Agritourism parts of the show. It was funny to see how into it Dwight was. His line about getting oats from his family after having sex was hilarious. Another favorite was Michael talking to his coworker and saying "I wonder what I'd be in the old country" coworker: "This is your old country."

I'm glad that Dwight was finally back to himself at the end, using his ruler to push Jim's stuff and making a sales call (maybe that changed after my tape cutoff). I didn't like seeing him sad all the time.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How about Michael mindlessly going through his call list and not realizing he'd called Stanley, who recognizes his voice?

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

"when I'm drinking my red wine and watching my mystery stories..."

8. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Excellent episode. Just watched it. I enjoyed Michael running to the train, then continuously singing the refrain from "Runaway Train." Good times. Definitely the best episode of the season.

I enjoyed the whole time Jim and Pam were at Dwight's farm.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought the entire exchange in the whoever vs. whomever was awsome. Moments like that are what truly make this show great for me. The fact that you could actually have a funny discussion about that and involve nearly the entire cast is what make it so perfect, and the build up to Kelly's and Michael's punchlines were wonderful timing. By the way, Paul Leiberstein, the guy who plays Toby, wrote this episode, proving he truly gets what makes this show sing.

Ryan: What I really want is for you to get the presentation ready, so that you can communicate it to your clients, to the people here, to whomever.

Michael: Ok, it's whoever, not whomever.

Ryan: No, it's whomever.

Michael: No, whomever is never actually right.

Jim: Well, sometimes it's right.

Creed: Michael is right. It's a made up word used to trick students.

Andy: Actually, whomever is the formal version of the word.

Oscar: Obviously it's a real word, but I don't know when to use it correctly.

Michael: (To the camera) Not a native speaker.

Kevin: I know what's right, but I'm not going to say. Because you're all jerks who didn't come see my band last night.

Ryan: Do you really know which one is correct?

Kevin: I don't know.

Pam: It's whom when it's the object of the sentence, and who when it's the subject.

Phyllis: That sounds right.

Michael: Well it sounds right, but is it?

Stanley: How did Ryan use it, as an object?

Ryan: As an object.

Kelly: Ryan used me as an object.

Stanley: Is he right about that?

Pam: How did he use it again?

Toby: It was, Ryan wanted Michael, the subject, to explain the computer system, the object, to whomever, meaning us, the indirect object, which is the correct usage of the word.

Michael: No one asked you anything ever, so whomever's name is Toby, why don't you take a letter opener and stick it into your skull.

I also really liked Jim's speech to Dwight. I like it that, deep down, Jim is really a good guy even if he enjoys fucking with Dwight.

Great episode. The right balance of humor and heart, without going over the top.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I feel guilty, but I wasn't able to watch until last night.

I feel so sad for Dwight, even if it is Angela. I was surprised when he didn't say that the cat she had was Garbage.

I really wanted to hear Kevin's new band. Maybe we will in an upcoming episode?

Since I downloaded the episode, I watched the whoever/whomever scene 3 times. If I were a teacher, I would let class watch the episode just for that exchange.

Anybody else think Jan has turned into a freeloader who is using all of Michael's money? She got back to the middle with me after her talk with Michael on the train, but she's still not in the clear for me.

I was surprised that the episode was an hour long. Are they all going to be like that? I thought only the first three of the season were, but maybe I missed something along the way.

Bring on Thursday!

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

an early interview

12. I'll see your links, HeyAbbott, and I'll raise you this...

HAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Draft saved Draft deleted