1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Obesity Rate for Children Has Not Plummeted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 2, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, please.
    I read more about science than I do damned sports.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Most don't. You'd think the Times' science correspondent might. Sadly, her degree is in Russian Studies, and she's a former foreign correspondent.

But, the rest of the media defers to the Times take. They don't even try to render their own judgement of the findings in the study -- or even read the study to see where it says, "“Overall, there have been no significant changes in obesity prevalence in youth or adults between 2003-2004 and 2011-2012."

So it's a lack of understanding and laziness. Repeating someone else's reporting is not the same thing as actual reporting.

And, that's what lets an organization like the Times (or, in other cases PR firms), write the narrative, and advance an agenda, under the guise of news.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Work smarter, not harder.

Do more with less.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Disagree.

The failure here had nothing to do with not understanding science. It had to do with impatience and reading comprehension.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Or, the desire to push an agenda.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The uppity mean black woman with a big caboose in the "Kill Whitey" video is going to force our kids to give up their Twinkies and eat celery sticks. We want our countree back.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree. ... But if it is a reading comprehension problem, you really have to wonder about who, in this case, is reporting the news at the NYT. I haven't looked at the research study, but if what Slate wrote is true (I actually don't just assume that), you had pop newspaper accounts painting a dishonest sounding picture based on a selective data point, when the conclusions from the researchers themselves were using the findings to conclude something completely different. There can be reporter bias in any story like that, you kind of expect it when stats get filtered down to pop stories. But where I get lost on this particular one is what exactly would be their motivation (conscious or subconscious) to ignore what the researchers concluded and create their own narrative around a selective data point that they picked out? It doesn't make much sense.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The question is who has the reading comprehension problem. I read the article when it appeared in the newspaper. I don't know if this is identical to the version I read, but this is the one available on-line and is consistent with what I remember reading http://nyti.ms/1cwGf7m It says this:

It explicitly states the drop was among 2 - 5 year olds. It goes on to explain the importance of improvements in obesity rates at this age.

I did not find it difficult to understand that the 43% drop was not among "youth and young adults." Slate is correct that the article didn't talk about the lack of improvements in those age groups but that wasn't the point of the article.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, but that's 'cause you're not playing fair. Reading articles carefully, taking into account what they actually say ... we can't have that sort of thing 'round here.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That makes more sense. I should have googled the NY Times article.

I haven't read everything -- but I just did a skim of the NY Times article and then clicked on the abstract for the report that they linked to. It looks like the mistake isn't in what they wrote. It was citing that report and linking to it. Because when you click through, the abstract reads like something completely different than what the article is saying. They should have done that story, quoted the researcher about young children (the researcher agreed with the basis for the article) and not muddied it with that report abstract which focuses on much broader obesity data that reads really negatively in the results.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, but a 43 percent drop in "rate" is deliberately misleading. It's a 6% drop -- from 14 to 8 -- in actual percentage of obese 2-to-5 year-olds.

I can't prove the process of how the NYT ran this; I merely go by the experience of what I've seen in shops where I've worked. It's usually a press release that touts the most significant finding of the study, with a page of key conclusions, along with an invitation to read the whole study. The tout gets play, the methodology of the study or even the margin for error doesn't.

If NYT understood all this and still chose to make a minor point, then I'd have to say, yes, there's something behind it.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. A 43% drop in the relative risk is a 43% drop in the relative risk. It's not misleading at all.

Per your logic, since people in the U.S. face about a 1.5% lifetime risk of developing pancreatic cancer, if someone figured out how to cut that in half, that wouldn't be a big deal -- in your words, it'd be a "minor point" -- because it'd be "only" a 0.75% decrease in absolute risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted