1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The O.C., R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know most of you won't give a hoot, but it's been one of my favorite guilty pleasures for a few years. Season 1 was really good TV, and Seth (Adam Brody) and Sandy Cohen (Peter Gallagher) brought the funny often. It was what 90210 would have looked like had it been written by clever people with an understanding of irony.

THE SUN SETS ON “THE O.C.” WHEN THE SERIES FINALE AIRS THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22, ON FOX

The sun will set for the last time on THE O.C. when the series ends its four-season run Thursday, Feb. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. The countdown has begun, with all-original episodes airing from Thursday, Jan. 4 through the last episode on Feb. 22.

THE O.C. stars Peter Gallagher (Sandy Cohen), Kelly Rowan (Kirsten Cohen), Benjamin McKenzie (Ryan Atwood), Adam Brody (Seth Cohen), Melinda Clarke (Julie Cooper), Rachel Bilson (Summer Roberts), Autumn Reeser (Taylor Townsend) and Willa Holland (Autumn Reeser).

Set in Orange County, California, THE O.C. premiered in August 2003. It follows a group of friends and families whose lives were changed by the arrival of an outsider – Ryan Atwood – to their ocean-side community of Newport Beach.

THE O.C. revived the teen drama genre while including humorous and heartfelt adult storylines. Shortly after its summer premiere, THE O.C. was a pop culture phenomenon – its actors are household names and its indie music (and subsequent six soundtracks) and hip California wardrobe are sought-after in stores. The show’s Newport Beach locale also has become a popular tourist attraction as fans visit the real locations featured in their favorite episodes.

"THE O.C. Season Four finale will also be the series finale. This feels like the best time to bring the show to its close,” said Josh Schwartz, creator and executive producer of THE O.C. “Thanks to the hard work of our cast, crew and writers, we have enjoyed our best season yet, and what better time to go out than creatively on top. It has been an amazing experience and a great run. For a certain audience, at a certain time, THE O.C. has meant something. For that we are grateful."

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Airing a series finale in February...wow.

That's a pretty quick fall from pop culture phenomenon.

DoubleDown, I implore you to join me and Shottie at "One Tree Hill!" It's like 90210 when it took itself super seriously...times 100!!!! And Sophia Bush to boot.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Weren't the girls in a Playboy spread not long ago?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sophia Bush or Rachel Bilson...who would you choose and why?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never watched an episide. Never cared to.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Couldn't pick Rachel Bilson out of a police lineup...and wouldn't have to in order to make this decision.

Hello Sophia. Come to BYH.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

She needs more than eight seconds though, dude.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Many who have never watched the show would probably be surprised by this ... but it totally lost its edge when Mischa Barton was killed off at the end of last season. I mean, it TOTALLY lost its dynamic.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Sophia Bush, although I wouldn't kick Rachel Bush out of bed for eating crackers.

OC was a guilty pleasure of mine as well, but I never was able to catch it often enough for it to fall into a must watch thing. If I caught it, great, if not, well it wasn't missed, and won't be.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

It was headed downhill before the shocker of "killing off" Mischa Barton.

You don't off one of your most popular cast members unless you're really panicking, big time.

It was great early on. A must-see, guilty pleasure.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The show jumped the shark when the main dude became a cage fighter or whatever. Don't know why I know that. I've never watched an episode and won't miss it all.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

BTW, this press release needs to be re-written in a JRC-esque tone.

THE SUN SETS ON “THE O.C.” WHEN THE SERIES FINALE AIRS THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22, ON FOX

The sun will set for the last time on THE O.C. when the series ends its four-season run Thursday, Feb. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. The countdown (that nobody will be commemorating)has begun, with all-original episodes airing from Thursday, Jan. 4 through the last episode on Feb. 22 (code for we've got nothing else to burn off in that time slot, please, havce you seen how awful Til Death is?)

THE O.C. stars Peter Gallagher (Sandy Cohen), Kelly Rowan (Kirsten Cohen), Benjamin McKenzie (Ryan Atwood), Adam Brody (Seth Cohen), Melinda Clarke (Julie Cooper), Rachel Bilson (Summer Roberts), Autumn Reeser (Taylor Townsend) and Willa Holland (Autumn Reeser). (All of whom you'll see on Celebrity Boxing 2012!)

Set in Orange County, California (duh), THE O.C. premiered in August 2003 (back in the day when Fox didn't hold all its shows til after the playoffs). It follows a group of (impossibly beautiful) friends and families whose lives were changed by the arrival of an outsider – Ryan Atwood – (Ponyboy?) to their ocean-side community of Newport Beach.

THE O.C. revived the teen drama genre (it never died) while including humorous and heartfelt adult (re: stuff you'd never see in a million years on 90210) storylines. Shortly after its summer premiere, THE O.C. was a pop culture phenomenon – its actors are household names (in their houses) and its indie music (cant be the indie, it's on fucking Fox) (and subsequent six soundtracks) and hip California wardrobe are sought-after in stores (in malls populated by kids who are pretty fucking far from indie). The show’s Newport Beach locale (how many damn times are you going to mention the show took place in Newport Beach) also has become a popular tourist attraction (yes, because no one wants to visit a sun-splashed warm area with chicks in bikinis year-round) as fans visit the real locations featured in their favorite episodes.

"THE O.C. Season Four finale will also be the series finale (duh, we already said this, damn this needs an editor). This feels like the best time to bring the show to its close, (because no one is watching) ” said Josh Schwartz, creator and executive producer of THE O.C. “Thanks to the hard work of our cast, crew and writers, we have enjoyed our best season yet (if by best, you mean one that has been seen by the least), and what better time to go out than creatively on top (or on bottom, it doesn't really matter, we're fucked). It has been an amazing experience (I got to cast Mischa on the couch)and a great run. For a certain (niche) audience, at a certain (brief) time, THE O.C. has meant something. For that we are grateful." (I'm available to create another show, I'm not too proud to work for MyNetwork)

Draft saved Draft deleted