1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYTimes does it again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So every Monday I go pick up a copy of the NYTimes. It's the media and marketing day for Biz and during football season they run a kickass national college football wrapup.
    My metro sucks at national and regional coverage in sports. So I find the Times very useful for my gambling habit.
    So this past Monday I'm going through the section and on Sunday it was Agassi's farewell and the Times had some really good coverage.
    Beautiful cover. Half page photo, nice graphic, a packaged column, three pages inside of coverage, plus the entire cover. Since I don't care much about tennis, I just looked, said "pretty" and moved on. So last night I'm looking at the section again and I'm reading the tennis. Rhoden's column is good. And I see the Agassi matcher jump on page 3, so I turn back to the cover to read the start and it isn't there.
    Just isn't.
    And it looks like it was designed not to have the match coverage on the cover. I don't know if it was this way for the other regional print runs, but for my run that was the case.
    The other odd thing is that normally my version of the Times is printed in Austin, or Atlanta. But the front page of this one says it was printed in Columbia. Missouri, not South Carolina.
    I was wondering if any of ya'll noticed this as well.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what do you mean 'does it again'? sounds like a printing error. it sucks but it happens.

i've always thought working the desk on the times must be a logistical nightmare with all those editions. including overseas don't they have 8-10 different editions? presumably they all have different deadlines or worse, some might have the same deadlines but be different numbers of pages than others.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, the mainbar started on the front of the whole paper and jumped inside to the sports section, at least in the paper I saw.

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

It had to have started on A1. I can't believe a newsgathering business with 5,000 or whatever it is employees would ever let that happen.

The Times jumps sections a lot, leading to no small amount of consternation when I'm reading a kickass business story at the coffee place and Section C is missing.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Take Dooley's word for it. He knows. ;D

The piece indeed did start on A1, and jumped to sports, at least in the late local edition I saw.
    A bit confusing, but sort of makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted