1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT Jumps Ship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 8, 2007.

1. I don't know if I'm pissed that this is two years too late -- the Friedman Unit of six months, multiplied by four -- or happy because the wingnuts will howl for a month, but the NYT is off the bandwagon.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/opinion/08sun1.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

My question -- does that really matter any more? Does any one newspape swing enough weight?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No. It wasn't the NYT Times' weight that put us there and the NYT Times' weight can't get us to leave. I doubt most people will even notice.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There's no better sign that things must be going better in Iraq than we've been led to believe than the NYT demanding our immediate withdrawal.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to say that the weight of The Times on the issue of WMDs in Iraq caused me to back the administration's rationale for War against the Saddam Regime. I knew I couldn;t trust Bush & Co., but if the Times agreed I thought there was a good chance Bush was playing it straight.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

June of 2007. Typical liberal media.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Even if the NYT endorsed it or have been against it, people read that paper and take anything they say to heart as the truth.

I do find it somewhat ironic that if they hate this administration so much from day one, then why did they support the invasion? Marie Antoniette thinks that fucked up.

7. Talk about pols who gave head...

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think the NYT supported it as much as turned a blind eye to what the administration's mole, Judy Miller, was reporting.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Nice effort, NYT, but too late.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Again . . . Bill Keller fell under Wolfowitz's spell, early-on, and bought into all too many of the
    by-now-well-known servings of steaming bullshit.

That romance has -- shall we say -- cooled.

Draft saved Draft deleted