1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That sounds like a 2000-esque waste of money. I guess we'll know soon enough if all 62 NBA writers are in Vegas.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"Supposedly all 62 pro hoops writers are headed to the Vegas Summer League, primarily just to meet one another. The hotel rooms alone cost $266,000."

Why would it cost $4,000 each for hotels? Where do you think they're staying, and for how long?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Larry Scott approves of this.

dixiehack and I Should Coco like this.
  4. MileHigh

Lindsay Jones, who is president of the PFWA, announced last week she has left the Athletic, but didn't say where she was headed, other than she'll still be based in Denver.

5. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Colts writer Stephen Holder also announced last week that he's leaving the Athletic, seemingly because his contract expired. Seems to have something else NFL-wise lined up.

Bill Oram is leaving the NBA beat to become a columnist at the Oregonian.

Connor Hughes is leaving the Jets beat for destination TBD.

NBA editor Joan Niesen is taking the vacant NFL/Commanders assignment editor job at WaPo.

Those were all in the last two weeks or so.

6. MileHigh

It's offseason shuffling time. Worked with Stephen in Florida and Bill in SoCal. I'm sure there will be more coming.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That’s at least 2 leaving The Athletic for newspapers. That’s odd. I thought they would have put all newspapers out of business by now. At least that’s what one of their hedge fund bros told us.

MeanGreenATO and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Oram is a stud and will kill it in that role for The Oregonian. Though it will be interesting to see how the readers react to his stuff in a post-Canzano world.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. MileHigh

Lindsay Jones to the Ringer as NFL editor.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

A lot of my friends and former colleagues left for The Athletic, in the early going. I was impressed with Tim Kawakami's approach, and lots of journalism jobs came open. Almost instantly.

It just seemed a little too good to be true. In the long term, I mean.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Marc Topkin was on Pearlman's podcast recently (hi, Jeff!) and talked about how he gave a lot of thought to leaving the Tampa Bay Times for The Athletic. Ultimately just wasn't sure the online platform would work in his market, and feels somewhat validated now given how The Athletic doesn't have a Rays reporter.

Col. Nathan R. Jessup likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’d go from The Athletic to The Ringer in a heartbeat, especially if I’m a national beat reporter.

jykoy219 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted