1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The accounting for the a subsidiary like the Athletic is often subjective. Lots of assumptions have to be made. For example, I subscribed to both the NYT and the Athletic. I think I was paying $20 a month for the NYT and $6 a month for the Athletic. Now I pay $20 for both. How much of the $20 should be assigned as revenue to the Athletic and how much to the Times?

In addition the Times was able to outsource their sports department to the Athletic. I read there were 70 Times sports staffers and the budget must have been at least 10 million dollars a year. Did the Times finance department assign some of those expenses to the Times or did they charge them all to the Athletic profit and loss statement?

I am not trying to imply that the numbers presented are corrupt, just that in accounting there are a lot assumptions.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    sgreenwell and cake in the rain like this.
  2. LanceyHoward

Is there any outlet covering sports at the national level better than the Athletic? I think it has surpassed ESPN. It seems to me that their coverage is a bit more extensive than ESPN, particulary on college sports. What do others think

3. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Depends on the sport, but little doubt The Athletic's bench is way deeper in sports like MLB, NCAAF and NHL. ESPN still seems to care quite a bit about the NFL and NBA, so those are probably similar. Also, Schefter.

4. LanceyHoward

A fair summary. Though after further reflection I would add Woj as a reason for ESPN's advantage in NBA coverage.

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

If Woj is No. 1, Shams has risen to 1A when it comes to breaking news. Or so it seems to me. ESPN probably still has a huge advantage with Schefter. The folks breaking college sports news nationally seem pretty spread out between ESPN, the Athletic and SI.

One thing I notice with the Athletic is that many of their most-read stories each day are about the Premier League. I didn't expect they'd find that big of an audience there -- only because traditional media stills seems fairly powerful in the UK -- but the Athletic clearly has.

6. LanceyHoward

Ross Dellinger moved to Yahoo which I think hurt the SI college coverage. I very much like Forde but SI is thin behind him.

John likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Their EPL coverage is ridiculously good. Tons of team specific content, tactics gurus, news breakers and overall analysis.

John likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted