1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Get 30 percent off when you use the code OURSERVERSSUCKTODAY.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The most interesting thing about their earnings is the window we are now getting into The Athletic, which you couldn't get when the company was private.

Operating profits for NYT as a whole were down 18 percent year over year, and it looks like The Athletic, which lost $12.6 million for the quarter, was the reason.

That said, the first quarter losses for the Athletic had been $19.4 million, so it looks like have already made some progress in getting it to run leaner.

It should be interesting to see a few things: 1) If they can get the thing to stop losing millions of dollars every year and turn a corner so they can make back what they paid for it, 2) If they affect the quality so much in trying to cut costs that it loses subscribers instead and has the opposite effect, and 3) If the strategy with bundled digital offerings works and creates profit growth.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Also read this morning that Joe Smith is moving from Tampa to Minneapolis to "share" the Wild coverage with Michael Russo. No word on who takes over the Lightning. I heard that a few months ago, Joe tweeted (I don't twitter) that he was disappointed to not get a position he wanted, but there were no clues as to what that was.

6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

"Advertising Experience" is so perfectly corporate. It's like a judge sentencing a defendant to a Confinement Experience courtesy of the state division of corrections.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No game stories.
    No ads.

Weren’t those the main selling points of the whole thing?

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And the opportunity to help a couple of hedge fund bros put every newspaper in America out of business, if I remember correctly. A sacred, shared journey that at least one of them giddily predicted.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My brother just texted me asking the same thing about "no ads" being a major selling point.

We all know that's unrealistic over the long haul, though. Subs alone can't produce enough to cover costs, production (even on the web) and make money for investors.

11. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

The Athletic didn’t appear to send any of their WBB reporters to cover the WNBA Finals, which is a bit surprising. Seems to be getting some good interest this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted