1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NY Post's Cory Lidle comic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by enigami, Oct 15, 2006.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

At least the cartoon didn't have Lidle pitching to Thurman Munson.
    Now that would have been classless.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That actually would have been sort of nice. Now having those two playing pickle in a plane headed for one of the Twin Towers? THERE'S classless.

3. swenk

swenk Member

Agreed. I should have added to my earlier post about this: there's probably no way to win a lawsuit over this, but that usually doesn't preclude anyone from suing.

Most likely, Lidle's family has more to think about right now than a dumb cartoon.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Like whether that rat bastard Steinbrenner will try to welch them out of any money on Lidle's contract...or try to claim he invalidated it by flying. Now that would be tasteless.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or both of them driving a VW with Billy Martin bouncing around in the back seat.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

game

set

match

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Steinbrenner might be a rat bastard. And he is a skinflint with the typical $40,000-a-year grunt walking around the stadium in a stupor. But he almost always does the right things in cases like this. (Don't confuse his hard-on for Dave Winfield with something like this). There's also a weird, giving side of Steinbrenner that 9 out of 10 times doesn't get reported. Like he'll read in one of the NY papers about a poor Bronx family that somehow got screwed, and the next day a big check will be sitting in their mailbox. He's an interesting guy. In this case, my guess is, he'll be thinking about the wife and kid, not about the fact that a guy under one of his contracts was doing something risky.

EDIT: Wait. Didn't Lidle just polish off a 2-year contract he'd signed with the Phillies at the end of this season, pretty much making it moot? He might have already collected his last paycheck.

8. "What, too soon?"

I'm curious to see if there are other examples that match this level of tastelessness. I haven't read the Post much over the last few years (except online) so I don't know if this is typical of them. Have they generally gotten this bad?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If that's true, I stand corrected and I am wrong. But he sure doesn't project that image.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What does Steinbrenner have to do with the 'no payment if he was the pilot" situation? This is an insurance policy that applies to all mlb players through the league benefit plan. It has nothing to do with the Yankees.

Lidle would have been a free agent....there's no contract to invalidate, his money from the Yankees had already been paid to him.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don Fehr should be in cartoon instead.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually the word liberal was in the quote. But I'm glad you agree with the sentiment. That makes one thing between the two of us.
    There might be hope for the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted