1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NY Post Jared cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not just rape.

But gay rape.

That's what really makes it hilarious.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Over the line, even for the Post. It also doesn't read properly with FOOT and LONG on different lines.

On top of that, it was lazy. That joke was all over social media since the story began to percolate.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It accomplished what they wanted and the Post doesn't give a shit what we think.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It wasn't particularly clever or original. That joke was all over Twitter many hours before the paper hit the stands.
    And I don't care if it's the Post being the Post. There are times in society when not f'n everything is funny.
    It's not like the Post is the picture of great health and viability as a business.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not quite understanding where all the sudden outrage is coming from.

Getting boned in prison has been a pretty standard joke for eons. Movies, TV, comedians...not like this is some new phenomenon.

And if you're wanting me to feel bad or compassionate for the NYP taking it out on him, the child molester, well , sorry. Whatever happens with him, that's all his doing.

expendable and Kayaugstin Kott like this.
  6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I usually like NYP headlines because of the thought that can go into them. You normally find a play on words, or a double-meaning type of thing. When I first saw this, I got the obvious message but couldn't come up with the play on words or double-meaning. I think it was a bit crass. I think they could have done better with a little more thought.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lazy was what I thought too.

Now a joke about the prison food being better than Subway ... that woulda been great.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe the NYP should have made some twisted reference to Deliverance.

"Jared, you're gonna look just like a hog."

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Locally, the Tampa Bay Times went with PRISON DIET on the cover of its daily metro tabloid, TBT. Which worked great, I thought.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I expected better from the Post. I mean, the same joke was posted on the other thread days ago. Low-hanging fruit.

schiezainc likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm with Ragu on this one. The hed would've been the same if Jared were slammer-bound for vehicular homicide or money laundering. And it's also lazy; the two ideals aren't mutually exclusive.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You don't get the double meaning? You ever been to Subway? And I thought this was too over the top. And, yes, it was lazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted